Page 1 of 2
R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:25 pm
by sailor55330
I’d love some opinions on this. Looking to put a Go 7 in. Here’s my idea and some mock ups
Remove the dash plate
Replace with wood insert
Mount unit
I fabbed up a quick mock up from some plywood laying around. I could mount the wood insert and gain the clearance to mount without cutting the dash. I can also get a new dashplate to simulate the original. Here are the before, insert and proposed mount. Keep in mind this is 20 mins of fab so not final. I would probably use teal and stain to match. I have some wood skills so I think could make it look ok. Thoughts please?
.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:30 pm
by sailor55330
Here’s the final mount mock
.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 pm
by Big Block Power
I like your thinking. That's giving me a bunch of ideas. I might be sending you some measurements. Lol
Nice job so far. I like the mock up.
Is that for a 5 inch or 7.i don't think I would want anything smaller than a 7 inch screen.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 pm
by sailor55330
Go7.
Another thought I’m having is to use a 1/4 spacer behind the dash plate to keep the original look. What I hadn’t counted on was the dashplate being aluminum. A little more challenging to cut
Something like this. Again really rough 5 min mock up:
.
1.jpeg
.
It would need some more thought. My whole goal hear is to avoid new holes in the dash
.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 pm
by Driller
sailor55330 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:30 pm
Here’s the final mount mock
.
Be sure and leave some room for the sun cover, it will hang outside of the dimensions of the GO7. Your template should have had the sun cover markings outside of the unit.
If you're going to use a sun cover.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm
by sailor55330
Yes—the paper template is cut to the sun cover. Also toying with a flush mount from the back. The new thing ata a time. I’m pretty confident I can make the wood so you never see it
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:10 pm
by BobRae99
Is your boat equipped with an EVC system?
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm
by sailor55330
It’s not
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:46 pm
by BobRae99
OK, I was thinking another (but more expensive way) to go about this is to order a dash piece from Cobalt from a more current R3 that has a single Garmin 7607 unit surrounded by some of the existing gauges your boat has. Later boats, as we know use 2 - 7607s without other gauges. So, you’d get a chart plotter front and center where it is more in your line of sight and you’d still have your analogue gauges. Perhaps trim, oil pressure and fuel could move to the 7607 after you add the required sensors?
I like your plan too, just not too sure the low position of the plotter is as safe as one that is higher up.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 am
by tgrace98
Have you looked at any of the garmin units? I know I’m comparing a lower end simrad unit to a higher end garmin. But I like my garmin units in my r7 a lot more than my old simrad go7
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 am
by sailor55330
I've looked at the Garmin TGrace, but only in stores. The Garmin unit demo mode isn't very compelling. I'm not 100% sold on the touch screen on the Simrad, but it seems to be the one on top right now. Kind of like heavy duty truck market---who's king this year.
Bobrae- It's funny you mentioned that. When I got the boat, I asked the dealer if a swap like that was even possible. They were somewhat hesitant and ultimately answered with "that would cost you thousands--you don't want to do that".
I'm not sold on the position, but honestly, it's about the only choice. I've looked everywhere and there literally is not a flat spot on the dash or gunwale to mount a ram unit to. Free space reclaimation in the R3 took that away.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 am
by tgrace98
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 am
I've looked at the Garmin TGrace, but only in stores. The Garmin unit demo mode isn't very compelling. I'm not 100% sold on the touch screen on the Simrad, but it seems to be the one on top right now. Kind of like heavy duty truck market---who's king this year.
Bobrae- It's funny you mentioned that. When I got the boat, I asked the dealer if a swap like that was even possible. They were somewhat hesitant and ultimately answered with "that would cost you thousands--you don't want to do that".
I'm not sold on the position, but honestly, it's about the only choice. I've looked everywhere and there literally is not a flat spot on the dash or gunwale to mount a ram unit to. Free space reclaimation in the R3 took that away.
I like how the garmin updates are free not sure about the simrad units. Only thing I didn't like about the simrad is for the navigation it only did line of sight. And didn't tell you how to navigate around the lake. Where on the Garmin it just leaves tracks on where you have been. So if you get to an unfamiliar part of the lake you can just retrace your steps. Also garmin does a lot better job of showing points of interest and waypoints along the lake. Overall I just think it is a better unit. But take in mind I am comparing the 7607 to the Go7. Which is quite the difference in price point.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 am
by sailor55330
Tgrace-
As far as I know, Simrad has free updates as well. The Garmin you call out is a great unit, but I personally don't see a need for the networking option, so that's money not well spent for me personally. I think the Garmin has some features that I just wouldn't use. I"m not sure I understand you statement about line of sight navigation. The Simrad tracks as well.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59 pm
by tgrace98
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 am
Tgrace-
As far as I know, Simrad has free updates as well. The Garmin you call out is a great unit, but I personally don't see a need for the networking option, so that's money not well spent for me personally. I think the Garmin has some features that I just wouldn't use. I"m not sure I understand you statement about line of sight navigation. The Simrad tracks as well.
Hmm I must have been on a very old firmware version on my simrad. Because it wouldn't do the tracks. And when I would navigate to a waypoint it would draw a straight line on how to get there.
Re: R3 chartplotter install
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:01 pm
by Big Block Power
I was thinking the only way they tracked is you had to to it on another memory card. Kind of a pain from what I heard. Go7