Page 1 of 1

USB 12V Outlet Install

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:29 pm
by trs23
Hey all

Last weekend I installed a new 12V dual USB outlet in the helm. Was tired of my plugin USB charger coming loose and having to swap when I used other 12V accessories
IMG_2891.jpeg
I used this outlet from amazon.



and purchased a set to T-Taps to tap off the existing 12V outlet



1.25" hole saw went right through the hem fiberglass and a couple of crimps later the outlet was installed.

One thing I'd change would be to potentially to use a USB-C PD instead of USB to give me a bit more future proofing. It's easy enough to swap now, so will wait a year or two to see if it's worth it to change.

I can take some pictures of the rear if anyone is interested.

Re: USB 12V Outlet Install

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:58 pm
by akorcovelos
If you just tapped into the other socket wiring be careful how many things you run at once or you may pop the breaker. I was planning on replacing mine with a newer one as well, but still only one plug.

Re: USB 12V Outlet Install

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:05 pm
by BobRae99
Unless you have a need for it, I might have just removed the 12V and replaced it with the device you bought. Installation looks tidy though and you can never have enough connectivity.

Re: USB 12V Outlet Install

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm
by trs23
I wanted to keep my 12V to run my portable vacuum :)