Page 1 of 1

Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:46 pm
by Begrooms
I purchased a 2016 220s late in 2017. I am in my second boating season and just before I put her away for last winter I noticed a crack in the boot stripe gelcoat on the starboard side about 8 feet from the back of the boat. I never hit anything with it and was wandering if this is something that should be covered by warranty. I understand the gelcoat is covered for 3 years. I assume that should be from the date I purchased which was November 2017. Any advice?

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:06 pm
by Big Block Power
I would bring her to the dealer and get it fixed sooner than later.

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:58 pm
by akorcovelos
Yup, at least get it documented, maybe they’ll let you run it until the season is over.

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 am
by Bigghauss
Definitely contact dealer. I'm assuming its a full on crack as it kinda also appears as a scratch. Hard to tell from pic. But if it is a crack, I'd be calling Cobalt right now. You should still have warranty left for them to repair.

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 am
by Krob1114
Will they repair it if you scraped marina dock?
Or only if it's a result of manufacturing?

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 am
by akorcovelos
Krob1114 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 am Will they repair it if you scraped marina dock?
Or only if it's a result of manufacturing?
I’m sure it only covers manufacturing defects.

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:28 pm
by Big Block Power
Krob1114 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 am Will they repair it if you scraped marina dock?
Or only if it's a result of manufacturing?
That was a year ago. Really depends on how hard you hit the dock. They will only cover it if you cracked it a foot or more 🤣🤣

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:36 am
by Krob1114
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:28 pm
Krob1114 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 am Will they repair it if you scraped marina dock?
Or only if it's a result of manufacturing?
That was a year ago. Really depends on how hard you hit the dock. They will only cover it if you cracked it a foot or more 🤣🤣
Really just scratchs. I haven't tried to buff it out yet. Once we get to the lake, it's get on the water asap.
My wife is such a control freak that she wants to dock boat all the time. Problem is that I'm the only one not drinking.

Apparently one of the rules in our life: Who ever has the most to drink gets to dock our $100k boat!

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:16 am
by Big Block Power
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:36 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:28 pm
Krob1114 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 am Will they repair it if you scraped marina dock?
Or only if it's a result of manufacturing?
That was a year ago. Really depends on how hard you hit the dock. They will only cover it if you cracked it a foot or more 🤣🤣
Really just scratchs. I haven't tried to buff it out yet. Once we get to the lake, it's get on the water asap.
My wife is such a control freak that she wants to dock boat all the time. Problem is that I'm the only one not drinking.

Apparently one of the rules in our life: Who ever has the most to drink gets to dock our $100k boat!
Oh. Well no scratches are not covered under warranty. Yes most will come out with either wet sanding or buffing. They don't cover gel cracks either as they say it's normal. I think that's Crap but they say that in your warranty papers. They may look at them and maybe do a goodwill gesture but don't get your hopes up.
Seems like you're docking rules need to change. Mine are easy I only drive the boat. I'm a bit selfish.

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 am
by dustinm
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:36 am
Really just scratchs. I haven't tried to buff it out yet. Once we get to the lake, it's get on the water asap.
My wife is such a control freak that she wants to dock boat all the time. Problem is that I'm the only one not drinking.

Apparently one of the rules in our life: Who ever has the most to drink gets to dock our $100k boat!
I can relate!! Its just a good thing shes my sugar momma!

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:08 am
by Krob1114
dustinm wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 am
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:36 am
Really just scratchs. I haven't tried to buff it out yet. Once we get to the lake, it's get on the water asap.
My wife is such a control freak that she wants to dock boat all the time. Problem is that I'm the only one not drinking.

Apparently one of the rules in our life: Who ever has the most to drink gets to dock our $100k boat!
I can relate!! Its just a good thing shes my sugar momma!
My wife had the final say on new Cobalt last year. She now gets what ever she wants. LOL

Re: Crack in gelcoat

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 pm
by Big Block Power
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:08 am
dustinm wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 am
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:36 am
Really just scratchs. I haven't tried to buff it out yet. Once we get to the lake, it's get on the water asap.
My wife is such a control freak that she wants to dock boat all the time. Problem is that I'm the only one not drinking.

Apparently one of the rules in our life: Who ever has the most to drink gets to dock our $100k boat!
I can relate!! Its just a good thing shes my sugar momma!
My wife had the final say on new Cobalt last year. She now gets what ever she wants. LOL
Bad habit my friend 🤣🤣 I'm glad mine is cheap and isn't needy.