Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Profile
KSJ • 5 minutes ago
First time poster... I only put about 10 hours a season on my boat for the past 5 years and am wondering if I really need to have extensive maintenance done every other year which the Marina recommends before even looking at the boat. How can I tell whether the outdrive should be pulled and serviced, the impeller replaced, lower unit serviced, manifold bolts retorqued and oil/filter changed for a total of $1300?I have a 2005 Cobalt 250 and I run it on Lake Superior. It’s in the water 3-5 weeks only and serviced in WI. I don’t utilize a mechanic nearby while it’s in the water.
KSJ • 5 minutes ago
First time poster... I only put about 10 hours a season on my boat for the past 5 years and am wondering if I really need to have extensive maintenance done every other year which the Marina recommends before even looking at the boat. How can I tell whether the outdrive should be pulled and serviced, the impeller replaced, lower unit serviced, manifold bolts retorqued and oil/filter changed for a total of $1300?I have a 2005 Cobalt 250 and I run it on Lake Superior. It’s in the water 3-5 weeks only and serviced in WI. I don’t utilize a mechanic nearby while it’s in the water.
- Mike in SC
- Captain

- Posts: 327
- Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm
- Location: Lake Murray, SC
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
I'm going to watch this post as I have some of the same questions as you. I bought my '03 this summer and can't be sure of previous maintenance performed.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
.
Hello KSJ. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
In regard to your question, you do NOT need to have EXTENSIVE maintenance performed each year with the way you use your boat. A thorough checkup would be more appropriate. The first question to ask is what make and model engine do you have?
If you would like the exact VP service recommendations, you can enter your serial number here.
Or
For your year, the Mercruiser maintenance schedule is located here.
Do you have any pics of your Cobalt?
Again, welcome aboard mate.
.
Hello KSJ. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
In regard to your question, you do NOT need to have EXTENSIVE maintenance performed each year with the way you use your boat. A thorough checkup would be more appropriate. The first question to ask is what make and model engine do you have?
If you would like the exact VP service recommendations, you can enter your serial number here.
Or
For your year, the Mercruiser maintenance schedule is located here.
Do you have any pics of your Cobalt?
Again, welcome aboard mate.
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Nice link A7!
So what have you been doing, or done in the last 5 years of owning her.
Remember oils once heat cycled are subject to normal oxidation as a result of time as well. We service Vehicles yearly that people just stare at in their garage.( Corvette for example).
Rubber products like belts, hoses and spark plug wires don’t care about hours..... just time exposed.
The other lube points and outdrive to engine alignment are also important if never done.
So what have you been doing, or done in the last 5 years of owning her.
Remember oils once heat cycled are subject to normal oxidation as a result of time as well. We service Vehicles yearly that people just stare at in their garage.( Corvette for example).
Rubber products like belts, hoses and spark plug wires don’t care about hours..... just time exposed.
The other lube points and outdrive to engine alignment are also important if never done.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
]Thank you AsLan7. It’s a Mercruiser 496Mag in a 2005 250. I just feel like some of the things are unnecessary like $400 oil change and pulling the outdrive and replacing impeller.
Just wondering what’s crucial despite engine hours.
Just wondering what’s crucial despite engine hours.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
With boats the way I look at it yearly maintenance is necessary. wether you put 10hrs on a boat a year or 100. Fluids break down over time and wear and tear parts wear out over time. If 1300 bucks a year for 10hrs is to much then it might be time to consider a different hobby. Sorry if I am being rash.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Oil change is supper simple. You could do it yourself for $100 or so plus one time purchase of oil extractor tool and gear line pump. I would definitely do oil and gear lube. Plus lube engine joints
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Oil and plugs are cheap and easy to do at home. I'd add water pump impeller to that list too, as it requires only basic wrenching and is a cheap rubber part that tends to wear out over time and ruin your day once it goes bad. Pulling the outdrive I'm more mixed on - may be something you have the dealer do once in a long while (every 7 years maybe?), but you don't really know how necessary it might be until it's out.
Replace fluids on schedule and keep it clean and protected (which it sounds like you do), and you'll slow down a lot of the other degradation due to time.
Another thing that may help in WI is finding an independent shop that does a lot of Mercury sterndrive work and let them do it over the winter, so you're not paying dealer shop prices.
John
Replace fluids on schedule and keep it clean and protected (which it sounds like you do), and you'll slow down a lot of the other degradation due to time.
Another thing that may help in WI is finding an independent shop that does a lot of Mercury sterndrive work and let them do it over the winter, so you're not paying dealer shop prices.
John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Those prices are crazy. I have a mobile marine service come to my house. They change fluids, pull the out drive and winterize for less than $400. If it's been 5 years it's time . Just shop for better pricing.jhnmdahl wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:08 am Another thing that may help in WI is finding an independent shop that does a lot of Mercury sterndrive work and let them do it over the winter, so you're not paying dealer shop prices.
2018 r5
2003 220
2003 220
-
BIGGUSBLOCKUS
- Captain

- Posts: 237
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:34 pm
- Location: Iowa & LOTO 32 Mile Marker
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Oil in a sump will not age much. I have several old cars that see very low use so those get full synthetic oil and filter changes every 3 years. Oil samples taken from these vehicles and sent to Blackstone labs confirms that the oil has lots of life left when it is changed. In fact I'll use it in my small 4 cycle engines after it comes out of the cars.
Boat fluids especially the lower unit lube are subject to water contamination so they should be changed once a year regardless of use in my opinion.
Impeller every 3 years if low hour use.
Boat fluids especially the lower unit lube are subject to water contamination so they should be changed once a year regardless of use in my opinion.
Impeller every 3 years if low hour use.
2018 Cobalt R30 Twin Volvo 380 w joystick and hard top.
1965 Corvette 396CI/425HP Convertible
1965 Corvette 396CI/425HP Convertible
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
I am a big fan of following the preventive maintenance schedule and my dealers recommendations. Do it on my cars and my boat. That said, I don't own a trailer and have to have my boat trailered to do major service. So far here's the schedule I follow:
- Every year:
-OIl change and winterize
-Check out drive to be sure it is full and no discoloration
-Every other year:
-Oil change and winterize
-Serpentine Belt
-Impeller
-Full tuneup
-Full out drive service (Lower unit Oil, gimble bearing check, alignment check, bellows replaced, etc.)
- General check on all the rest including batteries
- Let them know of any strange noises etc and have them check it out.
Dealer doesn't recommend changing the outdrive oil every year if there is no indication of trouble.
The rest of the small items I take care of myself. If I ever have a problem, I'll add it to my list.
- Every year:
-OIl change and winterize
-Check out drive to be sure it is full and no discoloration
-Every other year:
-Oil change and winterize
-Serpentine Belt
-Impeller
-Full tuneup
-Full out drive service (Lower unit Oil, gimble bearing check, alignment check, bellows replaced, etc.)
- General check on all the rest including batteries
- Let them know of any strange noises etc and have them check it out.
Dealer doesn't recommend changing the outdrive oil every year if there is no indication of trouble.
The rest of the small items I take care of myself. If I ever have a problem, I'll add it to my list.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
"DIGGIN' IT"
- Mike in SC
- Captain

- Posts: 327
- Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm
- Location: Lake Murray, SC
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Bellows every other year?
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Ok I'm sure we have gone through this a million times so starts 1 more.
Change oil and filter
Change fuel water seperator
Check belt check bellows
Checks drive pins check check check
Tighten all hose clamps.
Change drive oil every other year.
Change impeller every other year.
Check drive alignment I think every 100 or 200 hours. Then check the u joints and gimble stuff.
Trailer bearings every other year. Every year of you made a ton of trips. Unless you have the special no maintenance bearings.
Add Corsa Exhaust.
Swap to a BB
Pull engine paint bilge when changing oil. Every year.
Change oil and filter
Change fuel water seperator
Check belt check bellows
Checks drive pins check check check
Tighten all hose clamps.
Change drive oil every other year.
Change impeller every other year.
Check drive alignment I think every 100 or 200 hours. Then check the u joints and gimble stuff.
Trailer bearings every other year. Every year of you made a ton of trips. Unless you have the special no maintenance bearings.
Add Corsa Exhaust.
Swap to a BB
Pull engine paint bilge when changing oil. Every year.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- Mike in SC
- Captain

- Posts: 327
- Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm
- Location: Lake Murray, SC
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Whew!Big Block Power wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:52 pm Ok I'm sure we have gone through this a million times so starts 1 more.
Change oil and filter
Change fuel water seperator
Check belt check bellows
Checks drive pins check check check
Tighten all hose clamps.
Change drive oil every other year.
Change impeller every other year.
Check drive alignment I think every 100 or 200 hours. Then check the u joints and gimble stuff.
Trailer bearings every other year. Every year of you made a ton of trips. Unless you have the special no maintenance bearings.
Add Corsa Exhaust.
Swap to a BB
Pull engine paint bilge when changing oil. Every year.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, and I'm sure there's someone in the back of the classroom too bashful to ask the questions!
Going to have to add the Corsa exhaust just once I hope...and pretty sure you forgot the flagpole!
As an ex-navy submariner, I don't think I'm going to paint any more bilges, but I might wipe them down a bit, just for old times sake.
But thanks!
Mike.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
That's awesome Mike.Mike in SC wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:57 pmWhew!Big Block Power wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:52 pm Ok I'm sure we have gone through this a million times so starts 1 more.
Change oil and filter
Change fuel water seperator
Check belt check bellows
Checks drive pins check check check
Tighten all hose clamps.
Change drive oil every other year.
Change impeller every other year.
Check drive alignment I think every 100 or 200 hours. Then check the u joints and gimble stuff.
Trailer bearings every other year. Every year of you made a ton of trips. Unless you have the special no maintenance bearings.
Add Corsa Exhaust.
Swap to a BB
Pull engine paint bilge when changing oil. Every year.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, and I'm sure there's someone in the back of the classroom too bashful to ask the questions!
Going to have to add the Corsa exhaust just once I hope...and pretty sure you forgot the flagpole!
As an ex-navy submariner, I don't think I'm going to paint any more bilges, but I might wipe them down a bit, just for old times sake.
But thanks!
Mike.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Semrush [Bot] and 27 guests

