Page 1 of 1
Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:13 pm
by 282Captain
Every year about this time, I have the question about extended use in the colder months. Do any of you air up your blocks and drain the water for extended use in the cold season? Mainly for those weeks where overnight temps drop in the 30’s, but the afternoons are in the 60’s. My track record is always setting a new record “un-intentionally” how late in the year I can go before full winterization.
I second guess this move because I wonder if residual condensation has a higher chance of freezing verses higher volume of water in the block?
Re: Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:45 pm
by Big Block Power
I would have no interest in doing this. 10k a engine. Why? I know T uses it to start his season though. Helps flush the bilge also.
Re: Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:08 am
by akorcovelos
Is the boat trailered, on a lift or wet slipped? If it’s on a lift it wet slipped just leave it in the water, 30* overnight temps won’t hurt anything, the water will keep everything from freezing. When it starts dropping into the 20s you’ll want to look into bilge heaters. I usually winterize mid-November, but I was wet slipped with my old boat. Now that I’m back to a trailer for the time being I’ll probably do it early October.
We’ve had to plow our boat launch to pull boats, and I’ve hung off the bow of my buddies boat with a sledgehammer to break the ice in the channel to get there.
That’s for the pleasure boats, we run the outboard hunting boats into mid-January. Winter boating is awesome in its own ways.
Re: Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:52 am
by cmattj
Closed cooling on the merc 496 is just the air pump to blow the water out of the sea pump. But if it’s the exhaust you’re worried about you can run a mix through it for prevention or use a bilge heater so you can just go boating anytime you want.
You’re probably in good shape with that combo .
Re: Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:20 pm
by 282Captain
Thanks guys. On a lift. Getting up and out this weekend.
Re: Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 pm
by Ytmsn
You're nuts Andy. Winterize that thing!
Re: Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:37 am
by Lockey14s
heater in the bilge! perfect for those chilly nights. also i would quick drain it.
Re: Quick question: anyone use the quick drain for extended season use?
Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 am
by tgrace98
So my R7 has the quick drain feature on the new Volvo motor. I still ran antifreeze through the exhaust. I live 4hrs away from my boat most of the time so I still winterize about the same time everyone else does. If I was a full time Table Rocker I would have a bilge heater for cold fall nights and winterize around christmas when it really gets "cold".