Page 1 of 2

Steering wheel

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:02 am
by FSampaio007
Hi to everyone!
I own a 2011 cobalt 262 and want to replace my steering wheel. I was wondering if someone could inform if there is any supplier for a new original cobalt steering wheel... it could be from a R5 or R7 model too.
Thank you!
Francisco

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:55 am
by AsLan7
.
Hey FS007. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

There are a few threads on here about steering wheel replacements. Just make sure you soak that spline with WD40 or PB blaster so you can pull the old wheel off.

Cobalt stocks parts for 7 years so you are right on the bubble. Definitely give your local dealer a call and they can work with Cobalt on what’s still available. Others will chime in shortly.

Any pics of your baby? :D

Again welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:52 pm
by Big Block Power
Hello welcome. Search eBay Cobalt boat steering wheel. Bam there it is πŸ‘‹

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:33 pm
by FSampaio007
Hi AsLan7 and Big Block Power 😁
Thank you for your answers and advices! In the meantime I could figger out that Cobalt bought (for several years) the steering wheels from an Italian company (Gussi Italy). There is also a very good Italian steering wheel manufacturer (brand) with the name ISOTTA: very nice!πŸ‘Œ
I bought my 262 some months ago and will put it in the water just in May, so the only pictures I have from it were taken in the dealers warehouse.
Thank you again! πŸ‘
Regards,
Francisco

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:42 pm
by Big Block Power
Correct. Many of us have purchased steering wheels off ebay from Gussi. They're is a thread in here any that. They will even add the Cobalt spinner for you.

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:15 pm
by BigGib
I installed the Gussi off of eBay, couldn't be any happier with it! Removal of the old one was fun. PB blaster over night and quite a few heavy swings with a hammer

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:23 pm
by AsLan7
.

Nice update BG. Thanks for the pics. πŸ‘Œ
What did you do with the old steering wheel?

.

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:58 pm
by BigGib
AsLan7 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:23 pm .

Nice update BG. Thanks for the pics. πŸ‘Œ
What did you do with the old steering wheel?

.
Thanks! The old one went in the trash I believe, it wasn't in great shape

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am
by Holy Smokes
Speaking of steering wheels, time for a vote.....

What's everyone's opinion; replace with the Gussi wheel or keep the original?

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:21 am
by AsLan7
Holy Smokes wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am Speaking of steering wheels, time for a vote.....

What's everyone's opinion; replace with the Gussi wheel or keep the original?
.
I'm in the minority on the site but I'm a fan of the original look. Never liked the Gussi style look with certain models (it works well with BG's 302 silver theme). Call me a traditionalist. 8-)

...and if you are asking the question then you will be replacing it. ;)

.

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am
by Big Block Power
Yep change it. I like the spiny thing.

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 am
by akorcovelos
That’s the best stock wheel Cobalt ever offered, I’d keep it. Actually, I upgraded to the non-wood trim version so I may be biased.
9FB51085-2463-4400-976E-2C5F85D5E44C.jpeg

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:50 am
by AsLan7
.
That's stealthy and cool looking akor.

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:11 am
by Holy Smokes
2 vs. 1 on votes so far, plus the $140 out of pocket is enough for now.

I do like how the wood matches the gauge panels, but problem is the OEM wheel is slightly off center on a straight heading and it bugs the $%@% out of me!

Re: Steering wheel

Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 am
by AsLan7
Holy Smokes wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:11 am 2 vs. 1 on votes so far, plus the $140 out of pocket is enough for now.

I do like how the wood matches the gauge panels, but problem is the OEM wheel is slightly off center on a straight heading and it bugs the $%@% out of me!
.
Now that's an easy fix....just put a phone book under one side of your butt while driving. Try to disregard your gauges though when you do this.

or

Take the wheel off and turn it one or two clicks (depending on where you marked it centered using a piece of tape) on the spline. Then put it back on. 8-)

.