Page 1 of 1

Beginning boat advice

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:09 am
by Iceelin
Hey people,
I’m seeking some advice regarding a starter fishing boat. I’m expecting to spend $5000.00 maximum. I’m thinking of a 15 foot (enough for perhaps 4 people), 15hp four stroke – electric start, trolling motor, canopy, galvanized trailer, high sided boat (I don’t plan on crabbing or anything like that but you never know), fish finder, in essence “ready-to-fish" boat. Any advice from long time boat owners is appreciated, along with suggestions regarding gear and essentials.
Thank you in advance.

Re: Beginning boat advice

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:03 am
by AsLan7
.
Hey Iceelin. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

Cobalt boats are really not set up for fishing. Have you looked at Scout boats? Affordable and versatile. My family uses it to fish on the Chesapeake bay and ocean. We’ve also used it on smaller bodies of water. Very low maintenance too. Where will you primarily be using it?

Others will chime in shortly. Also try posting on theHullTruth boating and fishing forum. They have quite a few fishermen who can point you in the right direction (my dad included) :D

Maybe a Cobalt will be on your short list someday for cruising and water sports 🤔. If so be sure to post pics. ;)

Again welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: Beginning boat advice

Posted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:56 am
by cmattj
Iceelin wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:09 am Hey people,
I’m seeking some advice regarding a starter fishing boat. I’m expecting to spend $5000.00 maximum. I’m thinking of a 15 foot (enough for perhaps 4 people), 15hp four stroke – electric start, trolling motor, canopy, galvanized trailer, high sided boat (I don’t plan on crabbing or anything like that but you never know), fish finder, in essence “ready-to-fish" boat. Any advice from long time boat owners is appreciated, along with suggestions regarding gear and essentials.
Thank you in advance.
Tracker Boats powder coated jon- boat. With that budget you’ll find a good one. Maybe one with a steering console and a 25hp.
They only get so dirty, and they are easy to rinse out.
😉