Page 1 of 2

Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 pm
by Boensch
I have a 98 modal 200 that melted no 5 plug end changed plugs ,wires, cap and rotor , fuel injector , and module . Still have a misfire .

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 pm
by Big Block Power
What's your compression on that cylinder?

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 pm
by Boensch
145

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 pm
by Big Block Power
You have a lean problem. What's your fuel pressure. Intake gasket leak. Spark to that cyl. Injector still? Timing issue. Bad fuel. Old? Ethanol? Plugged fuel filter? Fuel pump. We know they have issues with them. Spark arrestor clean not plugged.

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:30 pm
by Boensch
I cleaned the spark arrestor out did not check fuel pressure nor did I check for vacuum leak on that cyl. The fuel injector I installed is a day old . And came from vp. I check with a noide light injector is getting power and it does work .

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:31 pm
by Boensch
Can I check for vacuum leak on the boat just like a car with carb cleaner

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:36 pm
by Boensch
I set the timing at 5 degrees btdc just like it says on the placard. What should it be set at

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:47 pm
by Big Block Power
I have not set timing in years and don't want to tell you wrong. I'm sure you have to ground something then set it. Be very careful dosing carb or brake cleaner by the intake. I've seen fires started by doing that. Don't ask me how. Chevy S10 lol
Check your fuel pressure low and high side.

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 pm
by Boensch
Ok thank you . What about soap and water

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 am
by Big Block Power
It will work with water never really used it. I know some people used small propane bottles with a tip small amount is all that's needed. The rpm changed as it sucked in propane.

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am
by Boensch
Thank you I will try that

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:18 pm
by Boensch
Found the vac leak the intake gasket needs replaced . But here is the kicker the part is nolonger made . Please help

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 pm
by Boensch
Found the vac leak it was the intake gasket . But here is the kicker no longer made . Any body have any ideas on what to do next

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:53 pm
by Big Block Power
That's crazy. Check your mercury dealer. Or check your gm dealer. Get me a part number. Serial number off the engine and size and year.

Re: Misfire that I can't find in my 5.0 volvo penta

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:21 am
by Big Block Power
Without numbers I can't guarantee but there is no way that you can't find these gaskets.