Page 1 of 1

Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:10 pm
by Hotboat
I recently purchased a 2005 226 Cobalt, and found the drivers seat is fractured at the mounting points. When underway the seat wants to provide a sharp break in the ride - not fun. Evidently I have to buy a new inner shell from Cobalt as it is not a stock item. Wondering if anyone is selling a seat or knows of this problem. The boat only has 149 hrs, and hard to believe it is broken at the seat. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:39 pm
by Big Block Power
I'm thinking a big boy sat in her. Pictures would help. I'm sure you can get it made. I think it's 3/4 inch starboard. Not a big deal. They come apart pretty easy.

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:14 pm
by Hotboat
Image

The above pic is the base of the seat. I found upon disassembly that there were longer than normal screws for the seat cushon part. Probably that was what was poking my butt! Regardless the seat base needs to be replaced. This boat only has 149 hrs. I think the prior owner was a BIG BOY and probably plunked down on it. I just hope Cobalt doesn't gouge me too much $$.
Image

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:48 pm
by Big Block Power
Yea get a part number from COBALT and see if they can locate one but I hate to say it. 7 year rule.
Going to have to make one yourself. Shouldn't be a big boy deal.

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 am
by liquid
That's got Big Boy squirming written all over it.

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 pm
by opboat18
Did you ever find a new seat pan? I have an ‘05 226 with the same issue. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:44 am
by Ytmsn
Member Sliderule can fix you up. He makes new pans for replacement

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 pm
by opboat18
Thank you. I’ll look him up.

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 pm
by Big Block Power
opboat18 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 pm Thank you. I’ll look him up.
He made some Already for a 222 I believe. His might be the same. I can't see them being that diff. Send him a pm he normally gets back pretty fast. If he doesn't come back to here and I'll try to get a hold of him for you. Do you have a picture of what your seat looks like in the boat?

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:26 am
by Ytmsn
Yeah, I'm betting the seats are the same in a 226 and 222. He specifies what his pan fits in his thread. It's in the For Sale section with prices and pictures.

Its a pretty common problem and he builds a quality product to fix it.

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:14 pm
by opboat18
I don’t have pics of my seat, but the break in mine looks exactly like the photos in this thread. I’ll give him a shout soon. I do want to take pics to send him first. Thanks again for the info.

Re: Looking for front seat for 226

Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:26 am
by slideruleracer
Hey folks, sorry - I haven't been on the site a lot lately. WIth the boat wrapped up, I've been trying to tend to other projects in my garage.

The seat pans I've been making are to repair where the bolster hinges attach in the front and on top of the seat base. This one looks like it's broken where the aluminum extrusion for fore/aft adjustment attaches underneat towards the rear of the seat, if I'm not mistaken. My current kit won't fix this, but it's possible that a large aluminum plate attached to the bottom of the seat may provide a similar kind of repair. OPboat18 - ping me in a PM with your location. It would be a lot easier for me to come up with some ideas if you could send me the seat base that's broken along with the extrusion/mount that attaches to the bottom, but if you're far away, just shipping to me for a concept/quote might get pricey. I'm in MA. I'll tie off with you offline.