Page 1 of 2
Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 am
by greenhut
Dropped anchor yesterday alone on the boat - relatively windy day for ATL. Had a snooze and woke unhooked with outdrive in a sand bar. Noooooooooo. Yes. Did my best to lift her out, started engine, and 3m later overheat warning. Noooooooo. Shut her down and ordered a tow.
Pulled water pump face and water streaming into boat tells me restriction between outdrive and pump unlikely. Impeller looked good. Restarted and overheat again. I must have pulled a bunch of sand into the system, obstructing flow. Heat exchanger? 2020 V8-380 the one with the square (not cylindrical) looking heat exchanger. How do you back flush the heat exchanger? Appreciate any tips. Knew the cooling system in my 8.1 inside and out, but this engine new to me.
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am
by Norris_Boating
Man that sucks!
I am not an engine got so this may not work, but I would try
Hit the winterize/drain button that comes on the beer Volvo. That may dump some of the same in the hull.
Then there is a freshwater flush that is used to add antifreeze. I believe it is blue, you can hook a hose up to it and force water out, would try with the drain open and closed.
Next buy a second anchor

Good luck!
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:04 am
by IMALLYNN
I've done this a couple of times and getting better than I need to be at flushing the raw water system while on the lake. My 2013 VP380 has the cylindrical heat exchanger, but I suspect the process is the same. I removed the hoses going to raw water pump (impeller) and removed the bottom and top plates of the heat exchanger. Dump water from the top and flushed it out. Both times, it took about 3 - 4 solo cups of water, but I poured about 10 cups to be safe. Reached in hose going to raw water and removed as much sand as possible, dumped water in to loosen it, shake it around to dump sand. Re-assembled everything and was good to go both times. Not a hard task, but a PITA! Good luck.
When I replaced my fuel pump assembly this year, I also flushed all raw-water lines going to top of engine, fuel pump and exhaust manifolds. All those are small hoses. The one going to fuel pump was clogged full of sand. Not sure if it contributed to my fuel pump humming / whining, but now they're all clear. You'll probably want to check all those also.
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am
by AsLan7
Norris_Boating wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:55 am
Man that sucks!
I am not an engine got so this may not work, but I would try
Hit the winterize/drain button that comes on the beer Volvo. That may dump some of the same in the hull.
Then there is a freshwater flush that is used to add antifreeze. I believe it is blue, you can hook a hose up to it and force water out, would try with the drain open and closed.
Next buy a second anchor

Good luck!
.
NB. I think your post gives BBP speak a run for his money.

Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm
by greenhut
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am
NB. I think your post gives BBP speak a run for his money.
Shocked he isn't here harassing me...
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm
by akorcovelos
greenhut wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am
NB. I think your post gives BBP speak a run for his money.
Shocked he isn't here harassing me...
Legend has it he actually works occasionally.
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm
by Big Block Power
greenhut wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:50 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:31 am
NB. I think your post gives BBP speak a run for his money.
Shocked he isn't here harassing me...
Oh it's coming. Oh my gosh


too early!!
Sorry but I would use water vs beer to cool your Volvo




Yes take off your water line going to your impeller. Make sure the boat is not in the water


Maybe try this at a sand bar


too soon. Naaa
Back flush those lines. Great advise on the fuel cooler lines. Also the pwr steering cooler lines. Then yes the heat exchange. Good luck. Buy a box anchor? Or just park on the sand right away. Too soon?
Sorry this sucks man. Pictures or it didn't happen. Oh wait it already did

Don't worry the member from Florida just drive his SD up on the sand bar. So your ok.
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pm
by greenhut
Will this do?
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm
by AsLan7
greenhut wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pmWill this do?
.
Oooohhh. That hurts seeing that.
Well at least youβre not being towed by a Bayliner.

(too soon?)

Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:14 pm
by Big Block Power
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm
greenhut wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 pmWill this do?
.
Oooohhh. That hurts seeing that.
Well at least youβre not being towed by a Bayliner.

(too soon?)
Or a Ford. Too soon. The tow of shame.
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:31 pm
by Norris_Boating
HAHA, guess I shouldn't type while driving, at least we know that I was focused more on the road than on my typing!!
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm
by Big Block Power
Norris_Boating wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:31 pm
HAHA, guess I shouldn't type while driving, at least we know that I was focused more on the road than on my typing!!
At least you didn't fall asleep. Too soon?
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:27 pm
by greenhut
Oh man. Brutal.
Had the boat put on the wash racks and headed up today after work to try and fix. 99% sure I got it done, but couldn't wet test since marina had closed and boat was on wash racks. First tried easy stuff - flush through flush port - a bit came out the outdrive. Dropped easy drain - a bit into bilge. Pulled impeller again so flushing could clean pump housing. Remove clamp #19, pulled hose, hose STUFED with sand - no way any water was flowing. Got as much out with fingers as I could. Removed clamp #14 and forward flushed oil cooler and hose. Then reverse flushed.
Wanted to remove top of heat exchanger but major PITA. Instead repeated blasted hose into HE inlet (upward to clamp #19) and let drain until it drained clear. Took about 10m.
Re-attached clamps, installed impeller, hose to flush cap. Lots of bilge rinsing. Never ran over 161 (like normal) even with rpm. Will try tomorrow under load.
Whew. Exhausted, and fuel cooler hose not as easy to find as on my 8.1 - will have to check. Pretty sure PS cooling is with antifreeze.
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 pm
by Big Block Power
Hey welcome back. Glad you're getting her done up.
Re: Aground and overheated!
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:06 am
by greenhut
She fixed. Rubbing even a bit cooler, but probably cause I am out in the am which is uncommon.
And hit 100 hours since last august.