Page 1 of 2

2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:18 pm
by Lake Loon
I am replacing my steering wheel but may need an adapter. Anyone know if the steering shaft on a 2001 226 is splined or tapered and any other pertinent information? Thanks.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:20 pm
by Lake Loon
Sorry, wrong boat in the picture. Obviously not a 226.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:24 pm
by Lake Loon
Here is the right one.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:33 pm
by Big Block Power
You didn't buy one with the center hub anyway in it? I believe it's tapered with a key way in it.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:51 pm
by Lake Loon
Thanks very much. I just bought an adapter that mates to a tapered shaft with a key way for $20 + shipping. I'm pretty sure it will work. My boat is stored in a dry stack 40 mins away or I would just remove the old wheel and look. I have to put it in the water to do the work so I'm trying to be sure I have everything I need to do the job before I make the drive and pull the wheel off. Again, thanks for your help. Cheers!

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:57 pm
by Big Block Power
Lake Loon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:51 pm Thanks very much. I just bought an adapter that mates to a tapered shaft with a key way for $20 + shipping. I'm pretty sure it will work. My boat is stored in a dry stack 40 mins away or I would just remove the old wheel and look. I have to put it in the water to do the work so I'm trying to be sure I have everything I need to do the job before I make the drive and pull the wheel off. Again, thanks for your help. Cheers!
Yep bring a hammer you may need it to get it off.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:23 pm
by ggcline
The steering shaft should be a 3/4" locking tapered shaft. The hub adapter should have a 3/4" hole with 3 keways cut into it. There is a woodruff key on the old wheel that you will reuse on one of the three keways.

There is a large locking nut and washer which secures the steering wheel also. Here is a thread about steering wheel removal.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2341

Some owners use penetrating oil and pull the wheel while hammering on the shaft with the nut loosened to protect the threads. Did not work for me and I did some thread damage that Zi had to rethread. The steering wheel can be very difficult to remove.

My advice is to buy a sturdy three arm puller from the local auto parts store if the wheel does not come off with a little hammering. This worked very well and will not damage the threads. Good Luck

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:50 pm
by AsLan7
ggcline wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:23 pm
My advice is to buy a sturdy three arm puller from the local auto parts store if the wheel does not come off with a little hammering. This worked very well and will not damage the threads. Good Luck
.
Yes not a big hammer fan in that area. It can be done but it makes me wince. Love those pullers though. πŸ‘πŸ» They’ve saved me more than a few times over the years on various projects. πŸ‘ŒπŸ»


.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:27 am
by Lake Loon
Awesome! Thanks so much. I'll get a puller today and have a go at it.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:27 am
by dustinm
You can always zip tie the new wheel on top of the old one. No one will ever notice!!

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 am
by Lake Loon
Hahaha. It may come to that.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:17 pm
by Lake Loon
OK, so here's the end of the story. After buying an adapter, gear puller and penetrating oil to replace the old steering wheel it turned out all I needed was a Philips head screw driver, an allen wrench and less than 5 minutes. Go figure.

The next project is to replace the instrument panels. Cheers.

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:53 pm
by Big Block Power
Lake Loon wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:17 pm OK, so here's the end of the story. After buying an adapter, gear puller and penetrating oil to replace the old steering wheel it turned out all I needed was a Philips head screw driver, an allen wrench and less than 5 minutes. Go figure.

The next project is to replace the instrument panels. Cheers.
Well yea🀣🀣
It's obvious

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:35 pm
by Lake Loon
I really do love this boat!

Re: 2001 C226 steering wheel replacement

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:42 am
by skno
I can see why , it looks great πŸ‘