2006 220 With Stuck Fuel Cap
Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:50 pm
I recently bought a nice low hour (139) 2006 220S. I only have one irritating problem - the damn fuel cap is a fidgety thing. I put the two pin key in, turn it counter clockwise until it releases tension and "should" pop up to unscrew it to remove it, but.... it won't release. It rattles a little, I can get it to turn a tiny bit left or right but it just won't pop up. Aggravating. I was headed to the lake this morning but when I got to the gas station to fill up the tow rig and boat, I couldn't get the fuel cap off. I spent 30 mins futzing with it before giving up. Two guys came over who said they have boats with similar fill caps. They couldn't get it to release either. Ugh.
I thought about just removing the whole thing thinking it might be easier to figure out what is wrong with it. I got on the boat and looked up through the access opening just behind the skipper's seat and learned the three stainless steel Philips screws on the outside are in fact bolts which have nylock nuts on the back. There are two hose clamps that are at near impossible angles to access. Oh, and I found a green wire with loop connector on it just dangling near the filler neck. It looks like a ground of some sort. Should this be on one of the bolts which hold the filler neck to the hull?
So my big question is this, will it make it easier to figure out why the filler cap wont pop up and come off if I remove the whole assembly from the boat? Or should I just order up a replacement assembly? If this is a common thing, is there a simple trick to get it to consistently open?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
I thought about just removing the whole thing thinking it might be easier to figure out what is wrong with it. I got on the boat and looked up through the access opening just behind the skipper's seat and learned the three stainless steel Philips screws on the outside are in fact bolts which have nylock nuts on the back. There are two hose clamps that are at near impossible angles to access. Oh, and I found a green wire with loop connector on it just dangling near the filler neck. It looks like a ground of some sort. Should this be on one of the bolts which hold the filler neck to the hull?
So my big question is this, will it make it easier to figure out why the filler cap wont pop up and come off if I remove the whole assembly from the boat? Or should I just order up a replacement assembly? If this is a common thing, is there a simple trick to get it to consistently open?
Thanks for any help you can provide.