Page 1 of 1
2003 220 won't start
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:09 am
by doncorleone
hello,
I have a 2003 220 with a Volvo 5.0 GXi engine. The boat sat for a long time and now turns over but won't start. I've heard the fuel pump is a common issue when these boats sit for long periods of time. Any other recommendations? is the fuel pump the right place to start?
In advance, thank you.
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am
by AsLan7
Hey doncorleone.
If it sat for over a few months, the gas can go bad--especially today's formulas. Do you know if it had "STABIL" or "SeaFoam" put in the tank? Usually it is something simple before it gets complicated. If so, are all Circuit breaker's in?
You can tell if the fuel pump is bad by taking the intake tube off the manifold and putting it in a bucket. If it puts out fuel with the key turned, it's probably bad gas.
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:22 am
by doncorleone
Thank you for the quick reply. Not sure how old the fuel is and not sure if previous owner added any fuel stabilizer - he is a friend of mine so I will find out. All the circuit breakers are as they should be.
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 pm
by Big Block Power
Really. Not much info there. And what's a long time? Check for spark, check fuel pressure low and high side pressure. Did it turn over and seem like it wants to start? Iac valves go bad.
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am
by doncorleone
I should have included a bit more info. I'm a newbie to Cobalt and really appreciate the help. The boat sat idle for about 6 months. The owner moved and needed to sell it as he lost storage. The deal was good enough that I took a gamble - I know those can be famous last words (I've restored many old cars).
Got the motor started last night after adding fresh fuel though it does not run well. It seems to run very rich. I'm having a tech look at it today so should know more after he diagnoses it.
What did you mean by high and low side fuel pressure?
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:09 pm
by Big Block Power
You have two fuel pumps. I've is a low pressure pump and one is a high pressure pump. Volvo has a huge prob with them. And there goes your good deal if that's what is bad. Let us know what he comes up with.
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:57 pm
by AsLan7
Yes....let's hope all you need to do is run some more fresh fuel. How full was the tank?
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:43 am
by Ytmsn
Don check your fuel regulator. It'll be on the fuel rail to the right of the throttle body. A 2001 will have a screen. Pull it off and check the screen for crud. It's highly likely it's clogged.
20170802_063710.png
Be very careful pulling the screen off because it tears easy. A new one will cost about $65 bucks and come with a clip instead of a screen. Good luck getting it running!
Don't forget to go up into new members and introduce yourself, and give is a pic of your boat!
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 am
by doncorleone
Thanks for all the help. The tech told me that it is the MAP sensor though given that it sat idle for as long as it did - I'm sure this won't be the last of the problems I face. Any suggested web sites for parts?
Looking forward to giving this thing a run this weekend.
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 pm
by Big Block Power
Let's hope that's it. You don't see too many map sensors going bad.
Re: 2003 220 won't start
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:33 pm
by AsLan7
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:58 pm
Let's hope that's it. You don't see too many map sensors going bad.
Agreed.
How was the fuel filter DonC---did the tech say?