Page 1 of 1

What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 am
by Lee St.Clair
I have a Cobalt 190. Some of the upholstery which I guess is vinyl or naugahide, has discolored a bit from the sun. Is there a dye available that I can redo those areas?

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm
by Big Block Power
Yecks just have them recovered. You can get a professional grade dye but it won't last forever and it won't match. You need to know how to mix it. Or pay Dr Viynl to do it.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:47 pm
by Norris_Boating
You might want to try a magic eraser, then put some conditioner on it afterwards.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm
by Big Block Power
Pictures?

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:43 pm
by Lee St.Clair
The boat is in storage right now. But next time I get down there I'll take pics. The upholstery is in perfect condition. No tears ,rips or worn areas. There is some discoloring on a couple of the cushions but that area is just as supple and nice as all the rest. I just thought there might be some sort of dye to recolor it.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:07 pm
by bruceb58
The problem with using a Magic Eraser is that it is abrasive. It will take off some of the vinyl's top layer. If it is old enough, may not matter anyway. It will stain easier from then on if you use it. Most vinyl manufacturers say not to use them on new vinyl.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:27 pm
by Big Block Power
Use bio kleen amazing cleaner on that area and let it sit in the sun all day. They say 24 hours it may help!
You ever hear of Dr Viynl?
We use them all the time. They are like paint less dent guys. They work magic. Let's see the seat cover.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm
by Lee St.Clair
I checked it out and the closest DrVinyl to me is thousands of miles away. I doubt they travel that far :-) I'll post pictures as soon as I can get down to where it's stored.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:40 pm
by Big Block Power
Lee St.Clair wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm I checked it out and the closest DrVinyl to me is thousands of miles away. I doubt they travel that far :-) I'll post pictures as soon as I can get down to where it's stored.
Bummer. Try calling your local user car dealer or the dealership where you bring your car and ask them who they use.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 pm
by dustinm
Lee St.Clair wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:43 pm The boat is in storage right now. But next time I get down there I'll take pics. The upholstery is in perfect condition. No tears ,rips or worn areas. There is some discoloring on a couple of the cushions but that area is just as supple and nice as all the rest. I just thought there might be some sort of dye to recolor it.
Do you use any conditioner products on the vinyl? Some of them can discolor vinyl. I say this because the sun damaged vinyl I have seen is hardened. Identifying the cause or type of damage can steer you in the proper corrective direction.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:15 am
by Lee St.Clair
I haven't used anything on the vinyl because I just purchased the boat. Since there seems to be no hardening at all in the area where the discoloring is, it leads me to believe it is just sun damage. There are some dye products on the market so I will probably give one of them a try. In the meantime, I'll try to find an 'expert' upholstery person locally that may have knowledge of what is best to do. Thanks to all for your input on my question. I'm just an old guy still trying to learn. :-)

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:53 am
by Lee St.Clair
In my continuing quest as to what to do about the upholstery. I am thinking that dying might now be the best option. I am thinking of removing the seats and having them re upholstered. The seats are no problem getting out . The back rests seem to be another problem. I see no obvious way they are installed. Are they glued to the sides of the boat ? How do you remove them ?

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 pm
by Big Block Power
I could be wrong but the ones around the bow just push up and they will come out. Cross your fingers!
I think they are sitting in slots.

Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:50 pm
by Lee St.Clair
as soon as it quits raining, I'll give that a try. I hadn't thought of that but I can't see how it can be done otherwise because there is virtually no access behind that fiberglass they are mounted to.