Page 1 of 2

Moving to the lake!

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 pm
by greenhut
My wife and I have been looking to move to the Lake Lanier (where we already boat) for 5 years. We finally found our dream home, and close in about a month. So excited to live at our happy place.

Now get to mess with docks, lifts, bilge heaters, charger etc. Poor me :D

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 pm
by sailor55330
Congrats. Where on the lake? We have been looking property there for the last 7 months and so far still looking.

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 am
by bruceb58
You will love having your boat in the back yard...I know I do.

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 am
by Big Block Power
Congrats. Great lake. Some day I'll maybe get to go on it! On the lake bucket list!

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am
by tgrace98
Congrats! Now that I am a permanent work from home person I have my sights set on full time at our home lake. Hoping to make it happen in the next 2-3 years. Unfortunately lake properties are really slim right now due to extremely low interest rates

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:49 am
by sailor55330
tgrace98 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 am Congrats! Now that I am a permanent work from home person I have my sights set on full time at our home lake. Hoping to make it happen in the next 2-3 years. Unfortunately lake properties are really slim right now due to extremely low interest rates
Man, that is the understatement of the year. We have been looking at lake property on Lake Lanier for almost 7 months. We found 1 property that we put an offer in on , but it didn't work out (too much deferred maintenance). Properties that are worthy of consideration are lasting 24-48 hours at best. We had to put an offer in and fly down to look at it during the contingency period....absolutely crazy.

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:52 am
by bruceb58
At Lake Tahoe, where my house is, a house across the channel from me sold for $1.2M last June and 1 month later sold for $1.6M. Crazy with the Google people coming up and paying cash for everything in sight.

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 pm
by tgrace98
bruceb58 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:52 am At Lake Tahoe, where my house is, a house across the channel from me sold for $1.2M last June and 1 month later sold for $1.6M. Crazy with the Google people coming up and paying cash for everything in sight.
Yup everything around me is up at least 30% over the past 2 years. Just real estate is a little cheaper here in flyover country

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:54 pm
by greenhut
Thanks all - same thing on Lanier in terms of insane pricing, low inventory.

The property we are really close on is in Gainesville, south east of Browns Bridge.

I probably shouldn't have said anything yet. Had the inspection yesterday, and while that was largely ok (always something), I was able to confirm one new issue which I suspected - our boat will not fit in the grandfathered boathouse on a lift. We already knew it would be needing a new roof, but a new, high quality double slip Wahoo or Martin dock is like 80k :shock:

We'll see...

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 pm
by Big Block Power
greenhut wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:54 pm Thanks all - same thing on Lanier in terms of insane pricing, low inventory.

The property we are really close on is in Gainesville, south east of Browns Bridge.

I probably shouldn't have said anything yet. Had the inspection yesterday, and while that was largely ok (always something), I was able to confirm one new issue which I suspected - our boat will not fit in the grandfathered boathouse on a lift. We already knew it would be needing a new roof, but a new, high quality double slip Wahoo or Martin dock is like 80k :shock:

We'll see...
Do it πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:18 am
by Tuscany
Congrats! Don’t sweat the price.
Sometimes, you have to overpay for what you want in a hot resort area. In a couple years, that current price will be a great deal.
In 2016, we paid 15K higher for our place in Florida than what a comp next door sold for a month prior, but we wanted it and we agreed. It needed work and we put a lot into it. Now, the place has appreciated almost 100k. I never expected that, but this area is on fire with stuff lasting just hours on the market...

A doctor friend closed last year on a house in a new community here for 1.2M. Now, they are reselling around him for 2m.
Real estate goes up and down...but never stays down in resort areas..

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:52 am
by greenhut
Yea... I would normally agree more, but have a sense we may be at or near peak. We've adjusted and given a new final offer - should know today...

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:02 pm
by sailor55330
greenhut wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:54 pm Thanks all - same thing on Lanier in terms of insane pricing, low inventory.

The property we are really close on is in Gainesville, south east of Browns Bridge.

I probably shouldn't have said anything yet. Had the inspection yesterday, and while that was largely ok (always something), I was able to confirm one new issue which I suspected - our boat will not fit in the grandfathered boathouse on a lift. We already knew it would be needing a new roof, but a new, high quality double slip Wahoo or Martin dock is like 80k :shock:

We'll see...
Nice---We put in an offer on a property just off of Brown's Bridge off of 2-mile creek, but the inspection showed the property needed a fair amount of work and the seller wouldn't budge $1 even with 3rd party quotes, so we walked. The dock was also an issue as it was an older style dock, so it would have had to be replaced and the Core wouldn't guarantee anything until we were owners. Could have been a nice property but needed a lot of cash infusion, which wasn't in the cards. in retrospect, the property is still on the market and has been for a while now, so something about the place is spooking other buyers as well.

Yes, dock pricing is brutal....I talked with dealers for wahoo and Martin---felt much more comfortable with Martin, but still $$$$$.

Chances are I've seen your property on line or maybe in person.....would be curious to know the street via PM.

Congrats!

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:08 pm
by greenhut
sailor - sent PM.

We got the house! - seller accepted post inspection counter.

Re: Moving to the lake!

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm
by Big Block Power
greenhut wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:08 pm sailor - sent PM.

We got the house! - seller accepted post inspection counter.
That's frecken awesome! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ₯‚πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―