Page 1 of 1
Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:52 am
by DanM71
What brand and viscosity of engine oil should I use in my 1999 Cobalt 272 with a VP 454 in it?
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 am
by DanM71
Folks, I could use some help here. I have spoken to 3 different dealers and have gotten 3 different viscosities. 10w30, 10x40, & 25w40. 2 of these were for vp full synthetic. Can someone please tell me wht they use in a similar application?
thanx,
dan
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 am
by bruceb58
On my 7.4l in my 98 Volvo, I used Mobil 1 15W-50. It is in the viscosity range that Volvo recommends in their owners manual. What they do say is don't use an oil like 10W40 unless its a synthetic.
This is the spec from a few years ago. Volvo changes what they recommend occasionally

Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:23 pm
by AsLan7
DanM71 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 am
Folks, I could use some help here. I have spoken to 3 different dealers and have gotten 3 different viscosities. 10w30, 10x40, & 25w40. 2 of these were for vp full synthetic. Can someone please tell me wht they use in a similar application?
thanx,
dan
.
Hey Dan.... welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!
Check out this oil change thread
here.
If you want more technical detailed reading click on our thread
here.
.
Any pics?
Again welcome aboard mate!
.
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm
by dustinm
No matter the forum these oil threads always end badly. My advice any oil is better than none.
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 pm
by capn272
Also, join the 272 thread here!
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5008
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 pm
by Big Block Power
dustinm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm
No matter the forum these oil threads always end badly. My advice any oil is better than none.
Is half full ok?
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 pm
by dustinm
Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 pm
dustinm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm
No matter the forum these oil threads always end badly. My advice any oil is better than none.
Is half full ok?
You bet. that falls under the any category

Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:21 am
by Big Block Power
dustinm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 pm
dustinm wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm
No matter the forum these oil threads always end badly. My advice any oil is better than none.
Is half full ok?
You bet. that falls under the any category
Good to know as I'm only half full!
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 am
by Lockey14s
DanM71 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 am
Folks, I could use some help here. I have spoken to 3 different dealers and have gotten 3 different viscosities. 10w30, 10x40, & 25w40. 2 of these were for vp full synthetic. Can someone please tell me wht they use in a similar application?
thanx,
dan
I used VP 10w-40 full synthetic in my 2003 VP 8.1
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am
by Krob1114
I went to Volvo site and it was multi-viscosity oil that I purchased and used last fall. I think it was Volvo Penta 10w-30.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Engine-P ... ore_id.366
You should get proper advice with this site if you know your engine.
Re: Engine Oil Reccommendations
Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:12 pm
by Big Block Power
Lockey14s wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 am
DanM71 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:27 am
Folks, I could use some help here. I have spoken to 3 different dealers and have gotten 3 different viscosities. 10w30, 10x40, & 25w40. 2 of these were for vp full synthetic. Can someone please tell me wht they use in a similar application?
thanx,
dan
I used VP 10w-40 full synthetic in my 2003 VP 8.1
Yes that is what our engines called for.