Page 1 of 1
New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:18 am
by RebaLiberty
We are totally new to boating. I boated as a teenager, but that was quite a long time ago.

We are looking to purchase a 2001 Cobalt 190 that we found on facebook marketplace. Where is the best place to figure out a fair price for this boat? Nada guides says around $12,000 for boat and trailer. This guy is selling for $18,000 - that's a bit of a difference. I got the engine details from the seller and this additional information: "Is4.3 210 hp. Tires on the trailer New new battery new fish finder carpet inside new propeller. New Radio everything running great" Curious if anyone had any insight on the price. Is Nada usually a good guide for pricing? I've added a few photos of the boat as well.
Re: New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:51 am
by rabiddawg
I can’t help you on the value.
Unfortunately it’s a sellers market. Only you can determine if it’s a fair price for you.
I know this. Last summer when I was shopping it became very frustrating to find a boat I was interested in only to see it marked sold in less than an hour of being listed.
Good luck and welcome to the forum
Re: New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:53 am
by dustinm
The swim deck itself cost about 2k.
In this market you will know if its priced too high if its still for sale in a week. sometimes day.
There is a 220 for sale at clearlake boats in IA, which if I were looking at both would lean toward the 220.
https://www.clearlakeboats.com/default. ... dInventory
Re: New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 am
by RebaLiberty
Thank you for the replies! I appreciate it. It's been on the market for 2 weeks. I'll give it some more time. I appreciate the link to the 220! I'll check it out!
Re: New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 am
by Krob1114
Welcome to cobaltchat. I second all the above opinions. The longer you search, do research, etc., the better understanding you'll have of the current market. Usually, if you can wait, the best time to buy a boat is in late August or later. May and June are usually the worst times to buy. Covid has changed everything.
Good luck.
Re: New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 am
by jhnmdahl
A clean, older Cobalt can easily sell for 50% more than “book” value, as they really hold up well over time if they are looked after and the market for quality boats the last couple years has exploded.
My 210 was new in 2015, and I’d have no problem selling it for what I paid for it then in the current market.
Re: New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:41 pm
by Big Block Power
Yea we/ I saw that boat earlier. 2 years ago that's a 10k boat. Me this year 12 to 14. That's my 2 cents. Heck my 220 is on Craigslist for 50k.
That's my covid price!
Re: New Boat Owner
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:56 pm
by AsLan7
.
Ditto above…and welcome aboard mate!
.