Page 1 of 1

One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:52 pm
by SteveKran
Boat Info: 2003 Cobalt 22ft bowrider with 350 Mag Mpi (OM636700)


Cliff Notes: Trying to find a place that may give a discount on buying multiple cooling hoses for Mercruiser 350 Mag Mpi. Asking for advice on replace multiple older hoses.


Background: I'm helping my dad out with his boat. He had a stroke back in February and isn't able to get around like he used to. I dewinterized it and installed batteries this past weekend and it was the first time out on the water this year. I checked for leaks while we were still at the dock and actually had a small dribble (at idle, in neutral) coming from a factory crimp fitting (immediately checked bulge pump operation after that before heading out). I found it was a crimp after running my hand around, feeling for a place to tighten it. I also got a good bit of rubber dust on my hand from the hose being 19 years old and thought it might be a good idea to replace a few other hoses while I was at it. The hose feels like it may be deteriorating to the point where I'd rather replace it instead of cutting off the old crimp and installing a new hose clamp.

Boat has been used exclusively in freshwater lakes in South Carolina. Previous owner was a helicopter mechanic who kept it in tip-top shape. Only about 300 hours on this engine.



1st Question: Does anyone sell a kit that includes multiple hoses?

2nd Question: Should I even worry about replacing multiple hoses, or just stick to the one?



Thanks for the help and advice, I really appreciate it!



Image

Image

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:57 pm
by SteveKran
Here's a picture of the hose it's leaking from.

Image

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:04 am
by Big Block Power
You sure can replace all the hoses. Not a bad idea. But honestly I would just replace that one. That rubber dust is probably coming from your belt.

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:12 am
by AsLan7
.
Hey SteveK. So glad you found us.

Looks to be in really good shape. You can get that hose at any local Merc dealer or even Amazon. I'm with BBP on replacing just one. No need to do the entire engine. We always carry duct tape and stainless hose clamps with an extra piece of rubber in our tool kit for any hose blow outs. Have not had to use them yet but it's good insurance.

Thanks for the pics and welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:36 am
by dustinm
I concur with BBP.


Nice looking boat I might also add!!!

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 pm
by sailor55330
I guess I'm the one who never trusts anyone else's maintenance. BBP has way more engine knowledge than I do, but I have more "dang it--I should have done it" experience. I'd replace all of them.

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:55 pm
by Big Block Power
sailor55330 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 pm I guess I'm the one who never trusts anyone else's maintenance. BBP has way more engine knowledge than I do, but I have more "dang it--I should have done it" experience. I'd replace all of them.
Sailor if I was you I would buy a new boat! But hell you even break those 😂😂😂👍

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am
by sailor55330
If I could find an R5 hidden in the back of a dealership that was new, I'd be tempted...

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:49 am
by bruceb58
I buy everything form PartsVu these days. Seems to have the best prices.

https://www.partsvu.com/

Just need your serial number

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:37 am
by Krob1114
Welcome. I love the "helping my dad."

Re: One hose leaking, should I replace others on a 2003 350 Mag Mpi?

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:59 pm
by Holy Smokes
What about cutting off that crimped clamp and replacing with a std hose clamp. Tighten it down, then go boating!