2017 R5 speakers stopped working
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:04 am
Hello - this is my first post on the forum. I have a 2017 Cobalt R5 (I am the second owner - bought it in 2020). Original owner and I have only used it in fresh water. It has the upgraded stereo system with 2 amplifiers & 8 speakers (no tower speakers and there does not appear to be a subwoofer). Speaker configuration:
2 in the bow
2 in the front area of the cockpit (1 next to helm and one next to seat near the head)
2 in the rear area of the cockpit (1 on each side of the rear seat)
2 on the swim platform under the rear facing seat
2 amplifiers located under the lift up bow seat in front of the helm.
2 batteries and a battery switch
Transom control unit for volume and switching the source / input (looks like the control unit at the helm)
Speaker selector switch next to the door to the head that has 3 positions (Cockpit / Both / Transom)
All of this came stock from the factory - all of this was ordered as part of the original boat build by the first owner. No after-market items were installed.
Stereo and speakers worked fine from the day I bought the boat with the exception of the following:
With that speaker selector switch in "Cockpit" position - only the 2 bow speakers shut off. In the "Both" position all 8 speakers worked. In the "Transom" position the behavior was the same as "Cockpit" - 6 speakers were working vs just only the 2 on the transom.
2 days ago all 8 speakers stopped working: I started the boat and the garmin screen gave me the following message within 5 seconds of starting the boat: "Voltage Regulator Mismatch".
- The display on the head unit is on - it says "Connected to Kevin's iPhone".
- I can scroll through all the different source options.
- Both green power lights on each of the amps are on / glowing green.
- All the wires going into the amps are firmly seated / connected.
- I crawled under the dash of the helm and there is not a breaker (these are the newer fuses with built in "circuit breaker" switches.
- I opened up the fuse box located inside the storage area behind the lift up seat in front of the helm and reset the stereo breaker (pushed the small red "button" on the fuse) and I also pulled the fuse out and re-inserted it.
- Under the helm I see the thick black cable going from the head unit into the wall in front of the helm. It was thick in one spot (like it had an inline fuse). I opened it up - it was a multi-pin connector. No corrosion inside - I reseated it firmly.
I am NOT an electrician but I have installed car stereos (speakers and amps previously) and have a high end home audio system so understand how preamplifiers, cross overs, etc work.
Any advice? Seems to me it is something that took out all 8 speakers at once like:
- bad ground at the battery
- Voltage regulator mismatch fried the amps (even though they still have power maybe it blew the amps so that no signal is coming out?)
- ...
Thanks in advance!!
2 in the bow
2 in the front area of the cockpit (1 next to helm and one next to seat near the head)
2 in the rear area of the cockpit (1 on each side of the rear seat)
2 on the swim platform under the rear facing seat
2 amplifiers located under the lift up bow seat in front of the helm.
2 batteries and a battery switch
Transom control unit for volume and switching the source / input (looks like the control unit at the helm)
Speaker selector switch next to the door to the head that has 3 positions (Cockpit / Both / Transom)
All of this came stock from the factory - all of this was ordered as part of the original boat build by the first owner. No after-market items were installed.
Stereo and speakers worked fine from the day I bought the boat with the exception of the following:
With that speaker selector switch in "Cockpit" position - only the 2 bow speakers shut off. In the "Both" position all 8 speakers worked. In the "Transom" position the behavior was the same as "Cockpit" - 6 speakers were working vs just only the 2 on the transom.
2 days ago all 8 speakers stopped working: I started the boat and the garmin screen gave me the following message within 5 seconds of starting the boat: "Voltage Regulator Mismatch".
- The display on the head unit is on - it says "Connected to Kevin's iPhone".
- I can scroll through all the different source options.
- Both green power lights on each of the amps are on / glowing green.
- All the wires going into the amps are firmly seated / connected.
- I crawled under the dash of the helm and there is not a breaker (these are the newer fuses with built in "circuit breaker" switches.
- I opened up the fuse box located inside the storage area behind the lift up seat in front of the helm and reset the stereo breaker (pushed the small red "button" on the fuse) and I also pulled the fuse out and re-inserted it.
- Under the helm I see the thick black cable going from the head unit into the wall in front of the helm. It was thick in one spot (like it had an inline fuse). I opened it up - it was a multi-pin connector. No corrosion inside - I reseated it firmly.
I am NOT an electrician but I have installed car stereos (speakers and amps previously) and have a high end home audio system so understand how preamplifiers, cross overs, etc work.
Any advice? Seems to me it is something that took out all 8 speakers at once like:
- bad ground at the battery
- Voltage regulator mismatch fried the amps (even though they still have power maybe it blew the amps so that no signal is coming out?)
- ...
Thanks in advance!!