Page 1 of 1

Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:06 am
by BobRae99
I'm wondering about dealer discounts in the (almost) post COVID environment. On the one hand I've read that overall new boat sales are starting to dip, but on the other hand sales of pontoon boats and surf boats are up compared to 2019.

I feel like I'd like to move from my 2019 R3 to a 2023 R6 or R8 (stern drive), but curious as to what the supply/demand picture is looking like (and then deals being written).

Anyone recently done a new boat deal?

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:50 pm
by lghtspeedz
I came very close a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at the R6 (maybe a R4 but probably not) and had it configured as I wanted. They were at 20% off. I didn’t push to see if I could get more because I ultimately decided I’m not ready. I believe we are just beginning to see an economic downturn. I just don’t like the idea of buying high and at the onset of a downtrending economy. The thing is, Cobalt rolled that 2022 material surcharge and more into their 2023 pricing. I don’t get the philosophy of jacking up prices just to offer a discount. It just makes it more of a complicated game.

My impression is that discretionary purchases like boats have slowed so they were trying to fill build slots for 2023. It’s smart - get the orders booked before people really understand where the economy is headed. But it spooked me a little that people normally buying these and some more expensive boats are holding back (again that was the perception I got). It also made me feel less certain about being able to sell my current boat. It seems like the used market has screeched to a stop, though my boat might be in a more entry level range for some buyers. I dunno. And just like that I wish I’d done it again. Doh!

One other thing… trailers are insanely expensive right now. I would have needed to order one compatible with a Windlass, but I think they told me it was $16k for a trailer with the R6. I didn’t need one right away because I planned to dry dock it. But eventually I wanted to be able to bring it places. That just felt like a lot for a trailer. My sales guy said trailer prices should come down because they are out of control right now.

Anyway, 20% was the number you really cared about. That seemed to be their starting point for any R Series boat.

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 pm
by BobRae99
Thanks for your post. It is really helpful. I think I ended up at with an 18% deal in 2019 and people made me think I got ripped off, what with American forum members saying they got 25% discounts. Looking at the Marine Dealer Cost site, it looks like the dealer has 30% in the boat and a bit more in the options. So, I was thinking that if build slots were tight due to supply constraints (as they seemed to be last year) it wasn't the best time to buy. I think I'll reach out to the dealer to see what he has to say. I'd like to have test driven an R6 this past summer but there were none around.

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:07 pm
by lghtspeedz
I'm in a Stingray 225LR, so it's light and quick but not the smoothest of rides. The R6 was impressive, even with the 350hp. It had the Arch Tower with Rotating Sunshade, which I think adds some weight. I hit 51mph and it cruised pretty comfortably at 30 mph. I was planning to upgrade to the 380hp to get the added torque since it's so heavy. The added weight was obvious to me, like 2,500 lbs. heavier than what I'm used to. And I took my boat out before hand so I had a pretty immediate comparison since the conditions were the same. Despite the weight, I still found the boat very predictable in handling and responsiveness. I drove the R6 and then the R4 (it had the 300hp). Honestly, I felt like the R4 was a little softer ride than the R6. But, I really like the length and space of the R6. It's a solid boat. These were my first experiences with a Cobalt, so unfortunately I can't compare it to the odd series makes.

If I had unlimited dollars, I'd go R8 OB with the twin 300's. It's fast and I love the symmetrical cockpit layout. But I don't have an unlimited budget and I'm financially conservative so... if I do anything it will be a used R5/R7 or a new R6 because I decide to go crazy and decide money doesn't matter.

Good luck. There's no harm in talking to your dealer. I'm sure it's their slow time of year so you'll probably get good info and give them something to do!

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:48 pm
by jhnmdahl
20-25% is possible in "normal" times, but crazy demand the last few Covid summers has pushed pricing closer to retail. I think it's leveling back out, but I wouldn't feel bad about only getting 20% off.

That said, the first Cobalt dealer I talked with wouldn't budge from MSRP, while the next one went to 25% off fairly quickly as long as I was willing to order mid-winter.

John

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:37 pm
by douggreif
You are dramatically over thinking this
Buy a boat

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:11 am
by billk2632
I recently bought a used R5, feel like the price was pretty good - fair, I bought it from an individual and had been looking for some time and was ready financially. It was nowhere near the cost of a new R6, but still was not a small amount of $$. The surprise came when I went to sell my old boat, I was able to sell it in about 6 weeks and at a fair price - I priced it inline with NADA and what others were listed for - it didn't sell until I dropped the price about 10%. Still got more for it that I thought I could pre-covid and the buy was thrilled with it, but it did not "fly off the shelf at a retail + price". My point is, had I done this deal at the beginning of this summer (say May/June) I think there would have been about 10-15% more in both deals. Also, have noticed my dealer seems to have a number of new and used Cobalts that have been on his floor for some time now. I have also heard about one or two buyers walking away from a deposit on a new Cobalt. I have the original invoice for my 2014 R5 - a new R6 looks to be @ 2x's that.
Things have definitely slowed down - unless you had been planning a purchase and have cash ready, a big purchase is going to hurt right now. You are either taking a hit with interest rates or pulling $$ out of the market.

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:29 pm
by drtbar
billk2632 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:11 am I recently bought a used R5, feel like the price was pretty good - fair, I bought it from an individual and had been looking for some time and was ready financially. It was nowhere near the cost of a new R6, but still was not a small amount of $$. The surprise came when I went to sell my old boat, I was able to sell it in about 6 weeks and at a fair price - I priced it inline with NADA and what others were listed for - it didn't sell until I dropped the price about 10%. Still got more for it that I thought I could pre-covid and the buy was thrilled with it, but it did not "fly off the shelf at a retail + price". My point is, had I done this deal at the beginning of this summer (say May/June) I think there would have been about 10-15% more in both deals. Also, have noticed my dealer seems to have a number of new and used Cobalts that have been on his floor for some time now. I have also heard about one or two buyers walking away from a deposit on a new Cobalt. I have the original invoice for my 2014 R5 - a new R6 looks to be @ 2x's that.
Things have definitely slowed down - unless you had been planning a purchase and have cash ready, a big purchase is going to hurt right now. You are either taking a hit with interest rates or pulling $$ out of the market.
Wow, so many mystery numbers in one post. How about posting some actual numbers so we don't have to guess.

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:06 pm
by sbrit88jr
I ordered an R6 a few weeks ago. I got 20% off, last time I purchased in Jan 2016 I bought a leftover '15 R3 for 30% off. I feel like a leftover vs a fresh order 20% was pretty good. Who knows where the market is going, there is def more '23s coming in stock at my dealer than I've seen in a few years, but I expected many used boats to come in market this fall and it didn't happen near me anyway. We chewed on it since July, big purchase in a down market, but at the end of the day I got 4 more summers before my kids start heading to college so I said screw it. Can't time everything based on market and economy, if any of us on here can afford a new Cobalt, I don't think market conditions are going to bankrupt us

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:20 pm
by GoodbyeChaparral
I just ordered an R8 and got 19% off. I shopped multiple dealers and the best I could do.

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:07 pm
by AsLan7
GoodbyeChaparral wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:20 pm I just ordered an R8 and got 19% off. I shopped multiple dealers and the best I could do.
.
So glad you found us GbC. Be sure to post pics of you R8 when she's delivered. What size engine did you end up purchasing?
Any pics of the Chapp?

And welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: Anyone Ordered a New R Series Lately?

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:12 pm
by GoodbyeChaparral
I got the Merc 8.2 BB not the HO