Page 1 of 3
Need advice
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:26 pm
by AC911
Hello everyone!
I am very new to the forum. Super amazed with the knowledge everyone has here and I am trying gather as much info as possible.
Recently purchased a lake house and it came with a new dock+lift. Guess what I am thinking...
I am very early into looking at boats... kinda/sorta have narrowed it down to couple options currently.
First one is a 2012 262 with 350 hours. Merc 8.1L. Got service history (all seem to check out). Asking price is $75K
Second one is a 2007 232 w/600 hours. Volvo 8.1L. Not sure about history. Asking price is $37K.
262 is super nice but 232 is half the cost of the other one although it's much older and has more hours. Is it worth paying 2x to get the 262.
Any guidance you can provide to this newbie???
Re: Need advice
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:16 pm
by Titaniumboy
One has a head and the other doesn't.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:25 pm
by NautiWeasel
Those prices sound a bit inflated to me, and I just purchased mine in July (6-30-22). I paid about what you say the 262 is being asked for, for a newer boat, and less hours. I know mine isn't a 262 (It's a 242) but I don't know if it justifies that additional cost for the few extra feet.
I'd keep looking, but if you are set on one of those 2, the hours on the 232 scares me, especially without maintenance history. You could easily be paying another few thousand just getting needed maintenance done really quick.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:57 pm
by AsLan7
.
So glad you found us AC911 (Porsche owner?)
Both are great boats.
Being that you’re not towing I would opt for the excellent condition 262. Rarely do you wish you had a smaller boat on the water. Make sure your dock lift can handle that size.
Be sure to post pics. And welcome aboard mate!
.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:13 am
by Titaniumboy
I had not realized it before, but the 232 and 240 are the same length at 23-9” (25’-11” with the extended swim platform). In fact the 232 is slightly heavier at 4600 pounds dry weight as compared to my 240 at 4445 pounds.
As a random data point, the assessed value on my 240 (for property tax purposes) went up from $31,630 in 2021 to $39,290 for 2022. The assessed value has dropped every year since 2007 so this is a new experience for me. At least I am confident that California will use the extra property tax generated wisely and prudently.
Does the 232 have the extended swim platform and /or wakeboard tower?
The 262 is 26-8” long (28-6” with the extended swim platform) and has a dry weight of 5280 pounds. I’m surprised that the additional 3 foot of hull length only added 680 pounds.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:25 am
by Snowman8
What is your lift rated for? That could be a deciding factor for the size of boat you purchase. I’m guessing you wouldn’t want to buy the 262 and find out your lift won’t lift it, then have to purchase a new lift.. That’s where the BOAT acronym begins.good luck in your new boat searches. This is definitely the time to purchase.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:17 am
by sailor55330
Snowman beat me to the question- What is the lift rated at? A new lift will cost you 10k easy---you might find a used one. Here in GA, the market for a used one is very tough and if you can find one, you are probably looking at 6-7k.
Also, where are you boating? That might make a difference depending on the size of the lake. I was golden in MN, but do wish I had a couple extra feet in GA. Both are proven hulls, but they are aging. As a reference, on FB Marketplace this morning, I saw 2 R5's....one was a 2013, one was a 2016, similar hours, similar price to the 262. I would be patient.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:48 am
by AC911
Thanks everyone!!
Here are some further clarifications to the excellent questions you raised...
The lift is rated as 15K lbs and dock is about 30' long.
I would be boating at a fairly large lake in midwest. Gets rough on busy weekends.
Both boats have the swim platform and wakeboard tower. 232 has wakeboard attachments on the tower but 262 does not.
I am not set on these boats necessarily but they are probably the better of the two from all the ones I looked online in terms of location/price/age/specs etc.
Thanks again.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:32 am
by dsthomas
I'll add my vote to the 262!
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:02 am
by ajcampen
My advice is to buy your second boat. Skip the mistakes people usually make on their first boat purchase.
You need to decide, how you boat, what features will make the family happy, etc.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:43 am
by Krob1114
I'm surprised BB has jumped in and said get the 262 because of the Merc big block.
No advice here, lots of difference in the money, and I'm not spending yours.
Give both owners your phone number and tell them to call when they want to lower the price.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:42 pm
by jhnmdahl
I feel like the asking price on the 262 may be a Covid price that's a bit wishful thinking now that we're staring at a recession. If you're not in a huge hurry, you could ask to have it checked out and then make an offer that saves you enough cash to do your desired modifications, add a trailer, etc..
Keep us posted!
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:03 pm
by MnLakeBum
jhnmdahl wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:42 pm
I feel like the asking price on the 262 may be a Covid price that's a bit wishful thinking now that we're staring at a recession. If you're not in a huge hurry, you could ask to have it checked out and then make an offer that saves you enough cash to do your desired modifications, add a trailer, etc..
Keep us posted!
I agree with this. Boat inventories are rising, and according to the broker in Florida I just bought from, this is the first time they've had excess inventory in a couple of years. They are running out of places to park boats. According to him, there is also now widespread discounting of new boats off of MSRP for the first time since 2020.
Re: Need advice
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:25 pm
by sailor55330
As usual, the guys here are spot on with advice. Taking cost out of the equation, I see the following.....
Lift--Not an issue
Dock--Not an issue
Large, busy lake = more wake. Both boats will be fine, but consider the level of comfort of your passengers. Size matters in rougher water
The wakeboard attachments would be at the bottom of my list for considerations.
How many passengers do you think you will carry on an average trip. Remember, it's rare that someone says "man, I wish my boat was smaller". If you're not familiar with the term, google "3 foot-itis"
Obviously, cost is always a factor, but I'd be sure you've determined your primary focus and need. Also, not a scientific method, but which boat has the better cosmetic appearance---that's usually an indicator of the owner's attention to detail.
And finally, a friend once told me "when you walk away and can't stop looking back at the boat, you know you've found her....until that point, keep looking. It sounds goofy, but I've found that to be some very sage advice that has proven to be all too true.
Best of Luck!
Re: Need advice
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:04 pm
by Big Block Power
Krob1114 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:43 am
I'm surprised BB has jumped in and said get the 262 because of the Merc big block.
No advice here, lots of difference in the money, and I'm not spending yours.
Give both owners your phone number and tell them to call when they want to lower the price.
Na not much to add unless he wants a 220 with a big Block for 50k I got one of them

