Page 1 of 1
Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:03 pm
by GlarkCable
My wife & I are deciding between two used R3 Surf boats. One is a 2018 with the Truwave V1 surf system while the other is a 2019 with the Truwave V2. Hours are comparable and both are in great condition. Seller is asking ~15K more for the newer model. Is the V2 surf system worth the additional cost?
Re: Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:33 pm
by jhnmdahl
I don't have first-hand experience, but they're pretty comparable from what I've heard. If one has the forward drive and the other does not, that may weigh heavily in your decision as well. Cobalt made videos for each one that may help:
Re: Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:59 pm
by GlarkCable
I've watched the videos. Functionally they seem almost identical. Curious if there are hardware differences: bigger pumps, bigger ballast, bigger tabs? Or if it's mostly the integration into the touchscreen
Re: Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:10 pm
by AsLan7
.
So glad you found us GC…
No experience with V1 or V2 (unless you’re talking aircraft takeoff data

) but hopefully you can figure it out.
And welcome aboard mate.
.
Re: Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:49 pm
by Lifelongbtr
Again, not 100% on all changes, but they both definitely have the forward drive, the 2017-2018 use switches on the dash for the surf tabs and settings, and the 2019 and up are accessed through the garmins, most 2018 and prior only have one garmin, I believe all 2019 and up surf models have two. There were other changes to the ballast tanks, removing the mid-center as it actually hurt the wave, not sure if that was in all models, opens up a lot of space if that ballast tank isn't needed as it's the ski locker.
Not sure if there were adjustments to "stock" surf tabs settings and trim setting, but those can be adjusted manually.....
Re: Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:19 pm
by dsthomas
I agree with Lifelongbtr, both systems are identical except for the switches vs. V2 being incorporated into the garmin. Also the removal of the center tank was only on the R7 surf models. The R5 and 3 kept the center tanks. Wave wise I don't believe there was any difference. We saw both models at the boat show as we were in the market back then. the tabs tanks pumps etc are identical in both models. The only exception being the R7 they did remove the center ballast tank. With the length of the R7 that center tank took too much weight off the stern.
Re: Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:18 am
by GlarkCable
dsthomas & LIfelongbtr thank you very much for the insights. I like the feel of switches more than an all digital dash system, just "feels" more reliable hahaha. Going to try and take the plunge. Both vessles are only 300 hp, should i have any apprehension about not going up to 350?
Re: Truwave V1 or V2
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:24 pm
by Lifelongbtr
I haven't been in an R3 so I have no reference, except that my old 22' with 315hp did very well. These new engines have a lot of torque compared to the old ones so it's hard to judge. My R7 with the 430 seems unstoppable no matter what the load is....
I believe the forward drive is more efficient than standard too. In the end, a test drive is your best best.