Page 1 of 1

Poker runs?

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 pm
by thunder550
I'm intrigued by the idea of poker runs. All I see on the various sites is pictures of high power race boats, but the little bit of reading I've done seem like most of the poker runs have different classes, the big guys steal the show but your not-too-far-above-average boater can get in on the action too. Storm Poker Runs does two event annually at Havasu, thought it might be fun to join in on the action. Anyone done one of these before, or know someone who has?

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm
by thunder550
Well I guess that answers that. Probably going to check it out :)
Screenshot_20171130-215833.png

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 pm
by Ytmsn
It's not a race. You just run around to the different marinas and draw a card. You get back to the last marina by a designated time and the best hand wins. The "go fast" component is always going to be there but not necessary.

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:27 am
by Big Block Power
This is the one ran on our lakes. Yes the big boys are out there pushing it hard. I did it along time ago. My buddy runs one every year for our Make a Wish fundraiser. Ran than quite a few times. The smaller boys run that. It's just when you run with the big boys the water gets really rough. If your a family that likes to have fun it's a blast. Not a place for the little kids. Normally not a cheap weekend. I'm not a drinker so the opening night and banquet are not as much fun for me. I rather just go run the boat than drink. I know I'm old and boring.
http://www.lakewinnebagofourhorsemen.com

This picture was a few months ago caught between the big boys. It gets rough.

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:13 am
by thunder550
Sounds like it's worth doing at least once. I read somewhere that it's family friendly, sounds like maybe not? Just too much drinking?

http://www.stormpokerruns.com/home.html
https://golakehavasu.com/event/desert-s ... -shootout/

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:55 am
by NautiGirl
Lake Cumberland has a pretty big one every year the weekend after labor day...if you don't have a big boy boat you are really just a spectator at this event. I've been a spectator and wasn't all about taking my precious boat in all of that craziness. At the time, I still had the 190 and that's a dingy on poker run weekend. The lake is a hot mess and its nothing for kids to see...hell I was shocked at some of the things I saw! Its fun to see...once...at least in my eyes...been there, done that got the t shirt, but I know some people that go every year and love it.

Lake Cumberland changed the format of the run a few years ago too because to many accidents and even deaths were happening so instead of a start on Saturday morning to make your run to the 5 marinas to get your card, the participants now have all day fri and sat to get your cards...makes it safer for everyone involved but there are a lot of people that miss seeing all the big boats running full out to the next stop. Its good and bad.

For those not participating in the poker run, Harmon Creek aka Party cove is where all the shenanigans happen. Everyone slowly makes their way back in the cove and makes a loop around to check everything out. I've attached a few pics for your enjoyment...a good you tube search will bring you all kinds of videos to watch as well.

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am
by Alaskabound
Nauti, we went to party cove about 10 years ago & it was quite a scene. I think it was a different location, before they dropped the lake level. There was a crowd there but nothing like your picture. Cumberland is a beautiful lake but it always seemed busy and rough to us.

Dub

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 pm
by cmattj
Ytmsn wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 pm It's not a race. You just run around to the different marinas and draw a card. You get back to the last marina by a designated time and the best hand wins. The "go fast" component is always going to be there but not necessary.
Excatly!

We have Done lake Havasu Desert storm.. very fun but considering how narrow of a Chanel HHHHuuuughe cross wakes.

We have the "Big Cat" run here and the provide 2 seperate courses. Slow and fast with the same beginning and ending destinations.

All are fun no mattter what you have.. offshore to pontoon.. just a good way to party and meet people..

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:18 pm
by thunder550
Thanks for the info and pics all. Nauti, definitely looks like a place we wouldn't want to take a 4 year old. Those pics are nuts, with all of the boats tied up making the lane down the middle! :o

I figure if we go we let the big dogs take off and do their thing, then cruise behind where it's a little calmer. cmatt what did you think about Desert Storm?

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 pm
by cmattj
thunder550 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:18 pm Thanks for the info and pics all. Nauti, definitely looks like a place we wouldn't want to take a 4 year old. Those pics are nuts, with all of the boats tied up making the lane down the middle! :o

I figure if we go we let the big dogs take off and do their thing, then cruise behind where it's a little calmer. cmatt what did you think about Desert Storm?
The street party is fun . That's also where you get your credentials too. Day 1

Pick a slow group ( mph) as each group has a pace boat that leaves at different intervals and maintains that speed.

You'll have have the canal reserved for the run entry folks so that's a good time after.

Then the dinner and awards.

The last day is the shoot out so that is fun too.

Like I said and as you know it gets hectic with the groups passing opposite sides so just take it easy and have fun.

Next time I would stay at London bridge resort as they have nice docks as the nautilus was beach parking and over the bow.

Re: Poker runs?

Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:47 pm
by thunder550
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it worth doing at least once, good excuse to get out to Havasu for a few days :)