Page 1 of 1
Dock-4, Cobalt-0
Posted: Tue May 14, 2024 1:04 pm
by kas232ca
Ugh. Dock + Wind = Bang into big metal corner piece on dock.
Will get it fixed after Lake Powell this summer. Who knows what I will run into there.
Re: Dock-4, Cobalt-0
Posted: Tue May 14, 2024 1:21 pm
by billk2632
Ouch! If we haven't done something like this we will! It can be fixed.
Re: Dock-4, Cobalt-0
Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:55 pm
by NautiWeasel
Wow, that stinks.
I've been there before as well. Luckily, not on this boat, but with my Rinker. Those things are no fun when they happen for sure.
Re: Dock-4, Cobalt-0
Posted: Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 pm
by groberts4
If you're a DIYer you might be surprised that this can be fixed at home. I'm a YouTube addict and I've watched several excellent tutorials on fiberglass and gelcoat repair. I can't claim any personal experience, all my damage has been gelcoat only, but I'd certainly recommend watching a couple of videos and seeing if it's something you want to try. Hey, worst case scenario you have to take it to somebody.
Re: Dock-4, Cobalt-0
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:25 am
by Krob1114
groberts4 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 pm
If you're a DIYer you might be surprised that this can be fixed at home. I'm a YouTube addict and I've watched several excellent tutorials on fiberglass and gelcoat repair. I can't claim any personal experience, all my damage has been gelcoat only, but I'd certainly recommend watching a couple of videos and seeing if it's something you want to try. Hey, worst case scenario you have to take it to somebody.
I'm of the same opinion. Except my wife is not. LOL
Re: Dock-4, Cobalt-0
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:24 am
by billk2632
Me too - my wife seems to think professional = good. I am more of a I broke it, I'll fix it type (or fix it it until it's broke!). Not that there is a time to enlist a professional, it's just that many times all professional means is they are getting paid! If I hire a "professional" I expect a better job than I can.
Regarding the gelcoat repair - I did several repairs on my SeaRay using the Spectrum kit. They turned out very good. If you are even a little bit handy, give it a try, you can't make it worse and can always hire a "professional" later.
Re: Dock-4, Cobalt-0
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:08 pm
by kas232ca
groberts4 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:13 pm
If you're a DIYer you might be surprised that this can be fixed at home. I'm a YouTube addict and I've watched several excellent tutorials on fiberglass and gelcoat repair. I can't claim any personal experience, all my damage has been gelcoat only, but I'd certainly recommend watching a couple of videos and seeing if it's something you want to try. Hey, worst case scenario you have to take it to somebody.
I'm decent at DIY stuff, but this is in a super visible spot (right near the boarding ladder) that I will stare at every time I am around the boat. I think I would make it worse.