Page 1 of 1

Cold weather blues

Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm
by AsLan7
.
Well, at least we are weathering the storms in our nice cozy homes.

Could be worse:
.

Re: Cold weather blues

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:44 am
by Ytmsn
Thanks for sharing A7! That was mesmerizing! Being an inlander I've never seen water like that. I saw some big waves in Hawaii but never swells like that. I'm trying to imagine what that would be like if I was caught out on it.

At the end, why were the ships beaching? Is that where ships go to die or something?

Oh yeah, did y'all see Driller standing on that right with his fishin pole?😅

Re: Cold weather blues

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:45 am
by Driller
I've been there, but not with a fishing rod. North Sea, 50' significant sea height with the rig heaving 45' vertically.

I was always onboard as the client (oil company) representative, so I never had to perform any of the real work, but I have a lot of respect for the guys that do the jobs onboard.

Here's a pretty good video of how the newest generations of the semi-submersible rigs work. You might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oguoULvWVzo

Re: Cold weather blues

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am
by AsLan7
Those rigs really are a feat of engineering. Amazing they can drill to 30,000 feet--in that environment! Thanks for the inside scoop, driller....very cool.

Btw, the chopper trying to land in that first vid was also mesmerizing. Nice pilotage.

....Ytmsn, those storm waves are impressive. Makes one feel so small. The ships in the video coming ashore are beaching on purpose for scrap metal. I believe this has been posted before, but always fun to watch:

.

Re: Cold weather blues

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:39 am
by Ytmsn
That was a very interesting vid Driller. And btw, I saw you again! Starboard stern corner at the beginning with your fishing pole!

And it's kinda sad to see those big ole stately ships coming into the beach to their death. One last "hoorah" before they get cut up. :(

Re: Cold weather blues

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 am
by Driller
AsLan7 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am Those rigs really are a feat of engineering. Amazing they can drill to 30,000 feet--in that environment! Thanks for the inside scoop, driller....very cool.
The 30,000' drilling depth is not a big deal. It's the water depth which separates the men from the boys. Once you get to a water depth of more than 6500' things get a lot more complicated.

I think the world record now is a little over 11,000' of water.

Deepest water depth project I have worked was about 8100'. There's probably less than a dozen wells deeper than 10,000' (just guessing).

Re: Cold weather blues

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:25 am
by AsLan7
Amazing feat of engineering, that’s for sure.

Re: Cold weather blues

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:36 am
by Big Block Power
That's cool stuff driller! They've come a long ways.