Page 1 of 1

5.7 GI Volvo Penta forward shift problem

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:40 am
by Strabs15
Hello all, new to the group. We just bought a 2003 Cobalt 240 with a 5.7GI Volvo Penta. It has ran great for 10 hours that we put on it. Now when we put it in forward it sometimes will rev up and then clunk and surge into gear. If you put it in reverse and then forward it shifts ok. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Re: 5.7 GI Volvo Penta forward shift problem

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:26 am
by billk2632
That is a symptom of wear on the cone clutch or the shift cable out of adjustment. With a 2003 it could be either - you don't mention how many hours. I would check the shift cable first, replacing the cone clutch is a much bigger job. Also, since the boat is new to you, I would verify that the outdrive gearlube has been changed on schedule, the right type was used and the level is good.

Re: 5.7 GI Volvo Penta forward shift problem

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:06 pm
by AsLan7
.
So glad you found us St15…and great advice above.
Keep us updated.

And Welcome aboard mate.

.

Re: 5.7 GI Volvo Penta forward shift problem

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:31 am
by Strabs15
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. The boat has 580 hours, the guy that had it before me said he maintained it regularly and the oils look good. I am the 3rd owner and the previous owners look like they took great care of the boat, it is in really good shape. I will check the shift cables first. Maybe I will change the fluid too just to make sure it has the right oil.

Re: 5.7 GI Volvo Penta forward shift problem

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:57 am
by billk2632
Yeah - check the easy stuff first, but at 580hrs a worn cone clutch would not be out of the question. A common repair item on both VP and Mercruiser Bravo drives as they age.