Page 1 of 3
Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:09 am
by ajaVT
I have a new to me 220 which I am needing to outfit with lines, fenders etc and am wondering about the anchor & rode etc. I am guessing something like 100' of 3/8" 3 strand rode with a few feet of chain will be fine, but am also wondering what size anchor will fit into the locker in this boat (which is 30 miles away and covered for winter). I seem to remember there is a bracket in bow locker (under the center bow cushion) which looks like it is intended to hold the rod on a danforth anchor but don't know how big the anchor can be to fit into this space. Any advice on this, and even a suggested source to get a good price on this entire package from one source would be appreciated - Defender is a past favorite but of course I am on my own to pick everything correctly. Thanks!
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 am
by Driller
Here's what I use in my 242. Can't say for sure that it will fit in the 220. The auto-release feature is nice, and the anchor always comes back clean. Good holding power on the rocky bottoms we have here in Austin.
Digger 15 lb.- 200' 3/8" 3 strand - 6' 5/8" chain.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Digger-B ... lsrc=aw.ds
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:20 am
by Bfun220
Driller wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 am
Here's what I use in my 242. Can't say for sure that it will fit in the 220. The auto-release feature is nice, and the anchor always comes back clean. Good holding power on the rocky bottoms we have here in Austin.
Digger 15 lb.- 200' 3/8" 3 strand - 6' 5/8" chain.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Digger-B ... lsrc=aw.ds
I use the same.
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:56 am
by ajcampen
I have 2014 220 also.
I don’t carry as large an anchor as they stated above...no strong current and holds well at beach with waves.
I use a #10 slip ring fluke style anchor which weighs 6 lbs. I have a larger one but it does just fine. 3 to 6 ft of chain and 100’ of 3/8 rope is what I carry also. Check out a rope brand called sea choice, really like their rope for anchor and fender. Much nicer than cheaper rope I purchased before.
My fenders are 6.5 inches in diameter and 24ish inches long. I carry 3-4 with me.
I also recommend carrying 6 3/8 inch docking lines. 2 20ft and 4 15 ft. I rent slips when I take my boat on vacation with me and some times needle to secure in 6 places to keep boat of dock. Not the floating type docks but when they put post in the ground
Pm me if you want to know what else I keep on the boat
Thinking about
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 pm
by Big Block Power
All good info I also use the digger anchor. It fits in the locker and holds great. I gave up the fluke style.
I only have 25 or 50 feet of rope our lake isn't that deep but I have spare 100 or longer on board. Never used it. 6 feet of coated chain. At least 6 rupees like AJ or more they are every where on the boat. Prob 6 fenders in the boat all of the time. Flares. Towels throwable, wife most of the wife works as a throwable or anchor depending on the day.
Enjoy.
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm
by ColinC
Wife most of the wife works as a throwable or anchor depending on the day.
????
Pot The Jus!
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 pm
by Ytmsn
ColinC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm
Wife most of the wife works as a throwable or anchor depending on the day.
????
Pot The Jus!
Oh dear Lord. That's funny!
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:47 pm
by AsLan7
Here is an earlier thread with an anchor discussion as well....
.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=477&hilit=sand
.
We are coated vinyl, fluke style, anchor people ourselves. Holds the 260 series in sand just fine while boating in Erie, PA.
.
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 pm
by Big Block Power
Ytmsn wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 pm
ColinC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm
Wife most of the wife works as a throwable or anchor depending on the day.
????
Pot The Jus!
Oh dear Lord. That's funny!
Bbism at its best.
It's been at least a day.
Ok you can use the wife for a throwable or a anchor.
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 am
by Driller
I carry 4 x 8” fenders with the Cobalt fender clips installed and an additional 3 x 6” to use when needed.
4 x 20’ 5/8” and 2 x 15’ 5/8” lines.
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 am
by Big Block Power
Driller wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 am
I carry 4 x 8” fenders with the Cobalt fender clips installed and an additional 3 x 6” to use when needed.
4 x 20’ 5/8” and 2 x 15’ 5/8” lines.
Your cleats must be larger than mine. The guy I got the 222 used 5/8 line also. It's huge. It's not like he had a 30ft boat.lol or 24ft lol.
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:05 am
by Driller
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:27 am
Driller wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:17 am
I carry 4 x 8” fenders with the Cobalt fender clips installed and an additional 3 x 6” to use when needed.
4 x 20’ 5/8” and 2 x 15’ 5/8” lines.
Your cleats must be larger than mine. The guy I got the 222 used 5/8 line also. It's huge. It's not like he had a 30ft boat.lol or 24ft lol.
They might be 3/8" or 1/2" . I thought they were 5/8". Either way, you don't need a million turns around the cheat. A good figure eight installed correctly will hold it.
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 am
by Big Block Power
Yep never to old to learn.
I like these vids.
https://youtu.be/VMwXjckgiOs
Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm
by thunder550
ColinC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 pm
Wife most of the wife works as a throwable or anchor depending on the day.
????
Pot The Jus!

Re: Anchor for 2013 220
Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 pm
by ColinC
ajaVT,
Back to your original post, I've got a 2007 212 and bought a 13lb Mantus anchor after reading many good reviews on Amazon and various boating forums, along with some great videos on YouTube. Price was competitive and I'm sure it's a great anchor, but it won't fit into the bow locker. I could put it elsewhere on the boat, but I don't like lugging a big metal object around -- too much of a risk that I will ding the cockpit fibreglass or catch an edge on the vinyl. No thank you.
I accidentally came across a 'box anchor' by Slide Anchor, and it looks like an option for next season. Here's a link:
https://aymie-spitzer-r236.squarespace.com/boxanchor/