Check Engine Light on, then beeps, then engine running rough...
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2025 10:11 am
Good day all.
I was hesitant to post this when it happened, as I didn't have a solution. Now that I have worked through this issue, I wanted to share. Mainly incase anyone else has similar issues in the future, whether that be for a Model 242, a Volvo-Penta, Mercury, or whatever.
Was at the lake all weekend last weekend. Boat ran great on Friday, and all day Saturday. We (our boat, and another member's boat on here) even had a great evening cruise with the lake super smooth. My daughter was driving on the evening cruise, and she did get the RPM's up a little high (above 5500 for a few seconds) at one point, but that was in the middle of the drive. Everything was all normal the rest of the cruise back into the dock and ramp. As we were waiting on my wife with the trailer, the Check Engine light started scrolling across the gauges. I looked over all the other gauges, and everything looked normal. Oil pressure, engine water temp, voltage, trim, everything looked as it should.
We loaded the boat up, and I checked everything over again. Outdrive was free of debris, etc.
The next day, we put the boat in the water, and I was wondering if the Check Engine light would be back on. It was NOT. However, I was getting a single beep, maybe 1 second long, every 2 minutes. No other warnings, and again, all gauges normal. I slowly trolled out of the boat ramp area, and once the engine RPM's went up to 1,000RPM, I immediately noticed a shake in the boat. Took it out of gear, and then put the boat in neutral to add throttle (so as to remove the props and outdrive from the equation as the source of the vibration). The boat was still shaking. I opened the "hood" and noticed the engine was running very rough. Again, no check engine light, but still the beep every 2 minutes (or so). After looking things over, trying to isolate to maybe a loose plug wire, or anything simple, and starting and stopping the engine multiple times, the beep went away. Still running rough though, and obvious from idle, all the way up to 1000 rpm. I didn't dare go higher.
After hours of thought, and bouncing ideas off my buddy (Thanks @ACNull) I figured it was either a misfire due to fouled plugs, or possibly water in the fuel. After getting home, and ordering some parts, I put in new AC Delco plugs, new fuel water separator filter, and a full tank of 89 non-ethanol gas, with treatment (seafoam, and stabil). I was crossing my fingers, and fired her up on the garden hose. The engine shimmied a bit at first (maybe 4-5 secods) then smoothed out. All was well now...
I guess I can chalk it up to bad gas. Or more correctly worded, water in the fuel. I don't know if this was from the gas station (new to me, with only 87 octane, with 10% ethanol) or if it was from not completely topping of my tank last winter when I winterized (not my normal routine). Either way, it seems to have worked itself out now, and all is well.
I was hesitant to post this when it happened, as I didn't have a solution. Now that I have worked through this issue, I wanted to share. Mainly incase anyone else has similar issues in the future, whether that be for a Model 242, a Volvo-Penta, Mercury, or whatever.
Was at the lake all weekend last weekend. Boat ran great on Friday, and all day Saturday. We (our boat, and another member's boat on here) even had a great evening cruise with the lake super smooth. My daughter was driving on the evening cruise, and she did get the RPM's up a little high (above 5500 for a few seconds) at one point, but that was in the middle of the drive. Everything was all normal the rest of the cruise back into the dock and ramp. As we were waiting on my wife with the trailer, the Check Engine light started scrolling across the gauges. I looked over all the other gauges, and everything looked normal. Oil pressure, engine water temp, voltage, trim, everything looked as it should.
We loaded the boat up, and I checked everything over again. Outdrive was free of debris, etc.
The next day, we put the boat in the water, and I was wondering if the Check Engine light would be back on. It was NOT. However, I was getting a single beep, maybe 1 second long, every 2 minutes. No other warnings, and again, all gauges normal. I slowly trolled out of the boat ramp area, and once the engine RPM's went up to 1,000RPM, I immediately noticed a shake in the boat. Took it out of gear, and then put the boat in neutral to add throttle (so as to remove the props and outdrive from the equation as the source of the vibration). The boat was still shaking. I opened the "hood" and noticed the engine was running very rough. Again, no check engine light, but still the beep every 2 minutes (or so). After looking things over, trying to isolate to maybe a loose plug wire, or anything simple, and starting and stopping the engine multiple times, the beep went away. Still running rough though, and obvious from idle, all the way up to 1000 rpm. I didn't dare go higher.
After hours of thought, and bouncing ideas off my buddy (Thanks @ACNull) I figured it was either a misfire due to fouled plugs, or possibly water in the fuel. After getting home, and ordering some parts, I put in new AC Delco plugs, new fuel water separator filter, and a full tank of 89 non-ethanol gas, with treatment (seafoam, and stabil). I was crossing my fingers, and fired her up on the garden hose. The engine shimmied a bit at first (maybe 4-5 secods) then smoothed out. All was well now...
I guess I can chalk it up to bad gas. Or more correctly worded, water in the fuel. I don't know if this was from the gas station (new to me, with only 87 octane, with 10% ethanol) or if it was from not completely topping of my tank last winter when I winterized (not my normal routine). Either way, it seems to have worked itself out now, and all is well.