Page 1 of 1

Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:58 am
by Mcboy
Just bought a 2006 Cobalt 240. Great boat with a 496 Mercruiser. Need a little help. Can’t find the instructions for the two switches between the water/air temp gage and the depth gage. Got the depth gage working with shallow warning set by just screwing around. Need to know how to get the temp gage going. Thanks!

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:09 am
by AsLan7
Hey mcboy.
Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

Congrats on your 240! What is the temp gauge showing? Any display at all ? Is it Celsius or Fahrenheit ?

Btw, which 496 engine? 380 horse? If it says HO on it it’s the 425hp model.

We would love to see some pics of your baby. Feel free to start a new thread with an introduction if you have time. If not, no worries. We sure enjoy hearing how folks get into a Cobalt. ...& pics are a bonus!

Again, welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 am
by Mcboy
The temp gage just has an F, that I assume means Fahrenheit. I didn’t mess with it anymore as there seemed to be some type of impact on the depth gage.

I bought the boat as a retirement gift to myself. It has the 375 horse Mercruiser with a bravo 3 and only 190 hours. It looks brand new. I bought it from Texas, so it took a lot to get it legal in California, but have done that now. It runs great! Only things I have had to do was change a IAC that was sticking a little and the stereo that will not eject the CD. Previous owner had some different music taste.

I will post a pic this afternoon.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:02 pm
by AsLan7
Mcboy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 am The temp gage just has an F, that I assume means Fahrenheit. I didn’t mess with it anymore as there seemed to be some type of impact on the depth gage.

I bought the boat as a retirement gift to myself. It has the 375 horse Mercruiser with a bravo 3 and only 190 hours. It looks brand new. I bought it from Texas, so it took a lot to get it legal in California, but have done that now. It runs great! Only things I have had to do was change a IAC that was sticking a little and the stereo that will not eject the CD. Previous owner had some different music taste.

I will post a pic this afternoon.
.
Roger that, mcboy. Let's troubleshoot a little.
So it sounds like the display is working but you do not have an air or water temperature number showing, correct? Plus, this gauge is separate from your depth gauge (as was the standard installation on the 240). Yes, the F is Fahrenheit.

The wire running down the outside of your transom is the water temperature sensor. It ends right at the bottom of the vee on the outside of the hull. Does this look pinched in anyway? That wire comes thru the hull in the engine compartment and runs to that gauge.

,...and yes, any pics would be great!
.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm
by Bfun220
Mcboy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 am The temp gage just has an F, that I assume means Fahrenheit. I didn’t mess with it anymore as there seemed to be some type of impact on the depth gage.
Welcome from Wisconsin.
If your temp gauge is causing impact on your depth gauge you problem maybe the gauge. If I remember correctly toggling the switch down should swith the readout between air temp and water temp. Going up with the switch should set Fahrenheit or Celsius.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 pm
by Mcboy
So it sounds like just toggle the upper switch down and see if it works. As soon as this rain stops in Southern California I will give that an effort. Thanks for your help.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm
by AsLan7
Mcboy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 pm So it sounds like just toggle the upper switch down and see if it works. As soon as this rain stops in Southern California I will give that an effort. Thanks for your help.
That's correct. You should still see a temperature registering for the air temp even when the boat is out of the water.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm
by Driller
Welcome from Texas Mcboy.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:30 pm
by Mcboy
Here is a picture of the boat. Hopefully, I attached it correctly.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 pm
by AsLan7
.
You did Mcboy. Nice job. She looks pretty all shined up too!
...and cool color combo. 8-)

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 pm
by Big Block Power
Congrats and welcome from Wisconsin.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 am
by ajcampen
Congrats and welcome from oHIo. Great color combo.

Re: Air and Water Temp Gauge

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:31 pm
by Ytmsn
Welcome from Oklahoma! Cool color combo. I like your boat!