Prospective Owner

MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:09 pm
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by MAP53 »

I love the yellow, only thing is the canvas shows dirt. It will have to be cleaned right off the bat.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Big Block Power »

MAP53 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:47 am I love the yellow, only thing is the canvas shows dirt. It will have to be cleaned right off the bat.
Star brite makes a great canvas cleaner and water proof. I use it once a year.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Bfun220 »

Yup, that's one sharp boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
ColinC
Captain
Captain
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by ColinC »

As an owner of a 2007 212 I have to say it is a great boat (like all Cobalts). Mine is powered by a 5.7 gi DP and it is more than ample for water sports and general cruising. You won’t be disappointed.

However, if I were in the market I would take the time to compare the interior layout of the 222 vs. 212. I don’t know the exact dimensional difference, but an extra foot of space in the cockpit would be nice. My next Cobalt will be a 242.

Good luck with the search!
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Big Block Power »

ColinC wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:29 am As an owner of a 2007 212 I have to say it is a great boat (like all Cobalts). Mine is powered by a 5.7 gi DP and it is more than ample for water sports and general cruising. You won’t be disappointed.

However, if I were in the market I would take the time to compare the interior layout of the 222 vs. 212. I don’t know the exact dimensional difference, but an extra foot of space in the cockpit would be nice. My next Cobalt will be a 242.

Good luck with the search!
Well said. It's like going from the 200 to my 220. The bow seating is longer and the cockpit is a good foot and a half larger. The 222 has at least a extra foot and storage in the floor. The side seat is also larger. Not sure on the bow but I think it has 6 inches more. We all know we would take that :-) things to think about.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by jhnmdahl »

We went the opposite direction, deciding we liked the interior layout of the 210 better than the 220 after going in to buy a 220. The bow area is big enough and shaped more ergonomically (at least for us), and my wife likes the second captain's seat. I suspect, though, you'll be happy whichever way you go.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Big Block Power »

Correct John my wife I don't believe will let me get a boat without both captain chairs. She wants to sit forward from the pass side.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Bfun220 »

If I got a boat missing the pass side captains chair there would be some reduction in the amount of joy I experience driving my boat.
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Big Block Power »

Bfun220 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 pm If I got a boat missing the pass side captains chair there would be some reduction in the amount of joy I experience driving my boat.
I see your point of view B :-)
I'll just bring my own chair with me.lol I think it will fit :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by AsLan7 »

.
So glad you found us MAP53! Nice ride too.

As much as you like Bryant's, I think you will find the Cobalt quality, power & ride second to none. Thank you for posting pics too!

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by Alaskabound »

Hey Mark, welcome. I live in Shepherdsville just south of Louisville, have a Cobalt & last name is Potter. We must be kin. Ky. Is well represented on the forum.

Dub Potter
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
User avatar
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2811
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by liquid »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:18 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 pm If I got a boat missing the pass side captains chair there would be some reduction in the amount of joy I experience driving my boat.
I see your point of view B :-)
I'll just bring my own chair with me.lol I think it will fit :-)
I don't like the shotgun Captain's Chair. There's only one captain on this boat!

JK - i like the flipper shotgun and my wife likes to look backwards. Hell, most of the time we're watching kids getting towed or jumping off anyway.

Welcome Map - Nice vessel.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL

#FARCONCEO
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:09 pm
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by MAP53 »

Well after what seems like forever with subfreezing temps I finally got the pre purchase inspection done today. I called several places but only one insisted that the boat be water tested as well as pulling the drive and checking the gimbal bearings and alignment and doing a compression check. They said that you really need to put a load on the engine and drive to tell the whole story. This particular place is also the only Volvo Penta authorized service facility in the area since the Cobalt dealer closed up around Christmas.

The tech who did the inspection has over 20 years working on Volvos, he was impressed with the boat and was a wealth of knowledge. I learned a lot just today. I now have a go to person/place to get work done that means a lot. I had been a little nervous about the lack of Volvo service compared to Merc.

So everything went very well except we had to dodge all the trash in the Ohio river. The Cobalt runs super and seems very very solid. I did have them change the plugs since they were original from 2007.

It's been 3 years since the impeller has been done and not sure about the fuel filter. Needless to say I am buying this boat. I think that before springtime I will have the oil changed and the lower unit oil as well and the impeller and fuel filter. I need to install a transom trim switch and probably will replace at least one of the batteries since they are 5 years old.

So I should have it tucked away next Friday just waiting for warm weather. Thanks for all the advice I am looking forward to enjoying my new used 212.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by cmattj »

Congratulations!! That sport stripe is awesome!!

Yes Volvo techs are far and few but real ines are meticulous.

Change the impeller.. easy
Change the fuel filter
Change the oil..

You don't want the old owners probably did it's!!

More pics when you can!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
ColinC
Captain
Captain
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Prospective Owner

Post by ColinC »

Congrats and welcome to the 212 club! Like you I have an 07 212 with a Volvo DP (5.7L gi). Love mine and no doubt you will love yours.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests