2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

Hi All,

I don't currently have a boat and this will be my first boat purchase. I'm trying to evaluate the following:

New 2016 210 with V6/280HP, Ebony/Citrin and no bimini. $57,000 CAD ($45,600)

New 2018 220S with V6/280HP Blue/Black and no bimini. $72,500 CAD plus trailer $5,000 CAD = $77,000 CAD ($62,000 USD)

The difference is about $17,000USD

We plan to use this boat for cruising on a large inland lake that can get quite bumpy at times, pulling my younger kids on a tube or skis when the lake is calmer and just lounging off shore in the evenings. I don't think we'd routinely have more than 6 - 8 people on the boat at a time.

I've looked at the performance numbers for the 210 and don't see much of a top speed difference in the power choices. Compared to my friend's 23' Regal (that he says hit 62 mph on the river), the Cobalts seem to be a fair bit slower. Does top speed matter for what I'll be doing?

Is the new generation V6/280 adequate to have spirited performance from both boats? I notice the 220S is a bit lighter than the 2016 210, but the 220S is a foot longer. Will the 220 performance be similar to the 210 even though it is longer (but lighter)?

Does anyone have experience with maintenance on an Ebony colour hull side? I'd never buy a black car, just wondering if the same applies to boats.

I've asked the dealer why he still has this boat after 2 years. He says he is a bit puzzled by it as until it was discontinued, it was his best seller and he bought it at the end of the run in 2016 to have a 21' boat to sell in the following year. He thinks his customers are moving up in size (so Cobalt guessed right in discontinuing the 21' boat?) and says the smallest boat he sold on Lake of the Woods, Ontario (north west MN) last year was a 220. Everything else was larger. Does this make sense to you or is there another reason why this boat is sitting (colour? power? options?)

To be honest, I think I'm pushing the budget for the almost bare 220S and under powering would just ruin the experience and make it a very poor decision. I think cost wise, the 210 is a better fit. I have read and appreciate that many people feel the only way to power is with the largest engine available. Obviously that isn't in my budget, so keeping that in mind, with the V6/280 be a good performer in both boats or is it just a mistake?

I'd be adding a bimini to both boats. I'm assuming the dealer can install one on the 210?

Thanks for your input. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ajcampen »

Welcome from Ohio. I have a 2014 220s. It runs fine with the 5.0L 260 engine and is a hell of a boat. I am so happy with it and my family really enjoys all it could do. In a perfect world I would probably go up 1 engine level just for better mid throttle speed. Not all the bells and whistles are needed on these boats and buying slightly used can save u a bundle. I have an arch and love the possibilities with having young kids and future wakeboarders. I got mine with 13 hrs on her 2 yes old. Black shows water spots but products help it look like clean all the time (I use boat bling hot sauce).

I love the size and space in my boat and the “s” style seating. How did the 200 cockpit feel to you?

Below is a link to a 2015 220s with arch and 300hp Volvo plus arch for $52k. Only 23hrs on it. Get almost new for less
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015- ... -103198666
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by Alaskabound »

Welcome to the forum. I have the 280 Volvo with duoprop in a 220s 2017. Only info I can help with is with 2 people in the boat. In that case the time to plane is very short & very strong, mainly due I think to the props. Top end (using boat speedometer not gps) is 50 mph. If I was ordering new & planned on having 6-8 people plus skiers, I would get the biggest engine I could afford. In my case, I am totally happy with this combo for my boating needs now. Hope this helps.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
User avatar
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by jhnmdahl »

We went in to buy a 220 in Minnesota a few years ago, and ended up with a 210 instead because we liked the configuration better. I seem to recall the weight and freeboard of the 210 being right up there or bigger than the 220, so you're not giving away capability on big water (we're on lake Minnetonka a lot). We have a lower peak HP engine so top out just under 50mph, but the big torquey V8 and Volvo duo prop gets it on plane in just over three seconds.

Black will collect water spots a bit, but not as bad as a car. One good buffing a year and the occasional mid-season wipe down should keep it looking shiny. You'll no doubt be happy either way - I'd take the crew and move around inside each boat a bit, and see which one you like the best from that perspective.

BTW, a lot of arches come with bimini kits now too (like the slightly-used 220 AJ posted above), so you may look into that instead of a separate bimini if you're going to be doing a lot of water sports.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
User avatar
ColinC
Captain
Captain
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ColinC »

Hello BobRae and welcome to the forum! You will find lots of helpful folks here that will help spend your money.

To answer some of your questions...

Powerplant
Top speed doesn't matter for what you plan to do, but torque does. While a V6/280 platform may be ideal today, it might not provide the holeshot you need to haul a wakeboarder out with six adults onboard. Kids grow up quick and you'll likely find their interests expand to include skiing and wakeboarding, which will require more torque. Especially when the boat is loaded up.

Hull Colour
Coloured hulls look great. They do require more maintenance vs. white hulls, but it's not a huge difference. As AJ mentioned, there are products to help with water spots. Cobalt gelcoat is also know for how well it shines when sanded, buffed and waxed.

Bimini
The dealer should be able to add it without issue.

Other Options
Depending on how you plan to use / store your boat, you should look into covers. Snap in cockpit and bow covers are great if you use your boat on a regular basis and want a quick and convenient way to protect it from the elements. Mooring covers provide more protection but are more work to put on and take off.

One point I noted is you indicate that the 2018 220 is a foot longer than the 2016 210. Based on a quick review of the Cobalt factory specs, they appear to be the same length -- both are 22'10" LOA including the swim platform.

With respect to why the dealer still has the boat, it could be a combination of factors. For example, for Lake of the Woods I would think that a 210/220 is on the smaller side of what most boat buyers opt for, as your dealer has suggested. Additionally, while they're both great boats, they are entry point boats (albeit fantastic ones) for a manufacturer known for high end boats. Might be that the local buyers want to spec their Cobalts instead of buying off the showroom floor. That said, if the boat is right for you, that is all that matters and it gives you some negotiation leverage!
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
User avatar
ColinC
Captain
Captain
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ColinC »

Also, to add to AJ's suggestion on the slightly used Cobalt, the process of importing a boat from the US to Canada is quite easy. Don't let that scare you away! There are way more used Cobalts available in the U.S. which makes it a whole lot easier to find one that meets your requirements.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

To aj, thanks for that link. I've been searching wherever I could online to find a lightly used 220S and didn't see this boat. there are likely more out there, so if anyone sees another, I'd appreciate if you could pass a link along.

The 2015 boat looks pretty good although I could do without the extra cost of the arch. If I build a 220S without the arch, but with a bimini, 300HP Volvo DP, fenders and boo stripe, I think the cost is around $59,000 plus $4,000 for the trailer, plus $3,000 freight/PDI, so $66,000USD. I'm comparing that to the 2015 with 23 hours for $51,900, plus about $2,000 to get the boat to me. I'm not sure what else the 2015 has for equipment - I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me - but the savings look to be about $14 - $15,000 USD (plus I get the tower - which I wouldn't have ordered new). New or this used boat? Is the price on the used boat good?

Again, thanks to everyone. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ajcampen »

Yes that boat is a very good deal
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
User avatar
ColinC
Captain
Captain
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ColinC »

Another used option...

2012 Cobalt 220
https://texoma.craigslist.org/boa/d/201 ... 79264.html

2014 Cobalt 220s
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 20569.html

The 2012 looks to be well priced, depending on hours. The 2014 is likely priced a bit high.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
User avatar
ColinC
Captain
Captain
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ColinC »

The 2012 has 167 hours on it. Has some scuffs that should easily buff out. It is cross-listed on Boattrader via PopYachts for $42K. More photos on the Boattrader listing.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from Wisconsin. I have had just about every color hull you can have. The colored hulls to me are easier to maintain then a white one. With a colored hull I would stay away from buffing it as long as you can just to prevent swirls. Mine is 15 years old and looks new. I'll sell you mine with a tower or without. Lol

Also correct cobalt boats are not rockets. Some are more than others. Like the 262 with the same engine is faster than my 220.
Your paying for the ride. It's well worth it. I wish I could pull mid sixties with mine but nope.

I myself would get the smallest engine avail.lol
Last edited by Big Block Power on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

ColinC wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:49 pm Another used option...

2012 Cobalt 220
https://texoma.craigslist.org/boa/d/201 ... 79264.html

2014 Cobalt 220s
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 20569.html

The 2012 looks to be well priced, depending on hours. The 2014 is likely priced a bit high.
Hi Colin, thanks for the links. I think the 2012 is too old a boat for me. The 2014 has lower hours (55) than the 2015 in AR (83) plus it has a higher price at $55,000. In addition, the 2014 is a V8/270 vs the 2015 with a V8/300. The new generation engines came out in 2016, correct? Finally, I think I’d rather deal with a Cobalt dealer, given that I don’t live in the local market. I assume if the dealer is shipping the boat out of the country they don’t have to charge the state sales tax?

Thanks again for all of the replies, it is really helpful. I’m just waiting for the dealer with the 2015 to provide me with an option list and in service date for warranty. If he moves a few thousand, the landed cost to me would be about the same as the new 2016 210 with the V6/280 HP Volvo DP.

What would you buy for the same price new and smaller or used and larger with the V8 and +20 HP? :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by NautiGirl »

Used and larger all day... Everyday!

Seriously though. .. You have to get what you can afford but no one ever says my boat is too big or too fast.

Nothing wrong with buying used...just means you aren't paying the premiums that the guy (or girl) paid when they bought new!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ajcampen »

2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by Big Block Power »

ajcampen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 pm http://www.hagadonemarine.com/boat-inve ... balt-220s/

2016 under 50k
Aj your on a roll. I can't wait till I need another boat.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests