Ignition key duplicate

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by AsLan7 »

thunder550 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:13 am I paid $7 at Ace. I think that was for a key and a keychain.
....and then knowing your skills t550, I'm sure you inserted the flat end into a forging fire and pounded the base until circular and flat emulating the OEM key. Then you meticulously hand painted the Cobalt emblem on there using an Imron paint job....all this I'm guessing would take you 17-22 minutes... :mrgreen:
.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Big Block Power »

Photo_G wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm Thanks BB, I'll have to shop around a bit.

G

Maybe jccramer can help you. I can text him if you want.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

Thanks BB! I was able to get it cut correctly (finally) at Home Depot. Interestingly, the automated machine kept rejecting the key, so the guys says "We're going old school on this", and he walked around the corner to an old manual cutter. For reference, the correct blank is a Hillman #78.

Thanks again,
G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by thunder550 »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:11 am ....and then knowing your skills t550, I'm sure you inserted the flat end into a forging fire and pounded the base until circular and flat emulating the OEM key. Then you meticulously hand painted the Cobalt emblem on there using an Imron paint job....all this I'm guessing would take you 17-22 minutes... :mrgreen:
.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Photo_G wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 pm Thanks BB! I was able to get it cut correctly (finally) at Home Depot. Interestingly, the automated machine kept rejecting the key, so the guys says "We're going old school on this", and he walked around the corner to an old manual cutter. For reference, the correct blank is a Hillman #78.

Thanks again,
G
Glad you got it done!
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests