New A series

User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by cmattj »

liquid wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:45 pm
People still saying it telescopes. I can't imagine how that would be possible looking at the video. They should probably saw it off. I'm still lloking for an arch.
I want these people to step forward and talk telescopic towers to us. Your right ...we should have went to Miami. Doubtful with our group we’d remember much, but it would be a blast!
Next year!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Driller »

No way the whole boat is fitting into "a Standard Size Garbage can" I can't even get all my wife's amazon boxes into one can and cut them into smaller pieces. Fake News!!
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Bfun220 »

Driller wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:29 pm I can't even get all my wife's amazon boxes into one can and cut them into smaller pieces.
Lol. :lol:
2018 r5
2003 220
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by gdane »

cmattj wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:29 pm
liquid wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:45 pm
People still saying it telescopes. I can't imagine how that would be possible looking at the video. They should probably saw it off. I'm still lloking for an arch.
I want these people to step forward and talk telescopic towers to us. Your right ...we should have went to Miami. Doubtful with our group we’d remember much, but it would be a blast!
Next year!
Oh Come on C Matt All us Chatters have awesome memories !1 At least what we what to remember! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake
User avatar
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1608
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: St. Louis area
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Table Rockin »

There is an active discussion on Cobalt Boats FB page and one guy is adamant that there will be no option for twins. Says the beam, while wider than standard, is still not big enough for twins. I'm not sure I buy that but hope its not true. They also said the one at the MIA boat show was the first one off the floor and that by the time it makes it into production for 2020 they will likely have tweaked a few things. That also seems odd. It is FB for what its worth.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
User avatar
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by jhnmdahl »

Table Rockin wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 am There is an active discussion on Cobalt Boats FB page and one guy is adamant that there will be no option for twins. Says the beam, while wider than standard, is still not big enough for twins. I'm not sure I buy that but hope its not true. They also said the one at the MIA boat show was the first one off the floor and that by the time it makes it into production for 2020 they will likely have tweaked a few things. That also seems odd. It is FB for what its worth.
I wonder if there would be a market for an inline 6 cylinder marine engine for such applications. I know BMW still makes their six cylinder engines as straight sixes...

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by tgrace98 »

Table Rockin wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 am There is an active discussion on Cobalt Boats FB page and one guy is adamant that there will be no option for twins. Says the beam, while wider than standard, is still not big enough for twins. I'm not sure I buy that but hope its not true. They also said the one at the MIA boat show was the first one off the floor and that by the time it makes it into production for 2020 they will likely have tweaked a few things. That also seems odd. It is FB for what its worth.
This is a fable as most offshore race boats that have twin merc racing motors are still on a standard 8ft 6in beam. Now take in mind they do not have walk thru transom's but they could for sure fit twins on a 9ft beam.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Bfun220 »

tgrace98 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:18 am
Table Rockin wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 am There is an active discussion on Cobalt Boats FB page and one guy is adamant that there will be no option for twins. Says the beam, while wider than standard, is still not big enough for twins. I'm not sure I buy that but hope its not true. They also said the one at the MIA boat show was the first one off the floor and that by the time it makes it into production for 2020 they will likely have tweaked a few things. That also seems odd. It is FB for what its worth.
This is a fable as most offshore race boats that have twin merc racing motors are still on a standard 8ft 6in beam. Now take in mind they do not have walk thru transom's but they could for sure fit twins on a 9ft beam.
Doesn't the 282 have a 9 foot beam and offer twins ?
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1608
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: St. Louis area
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Table Rockin »

Bfun220 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:42 am
tgrace98 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:18 am
Table Rockin wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 am There is an active discussion on Cobalt Boats FB page and one guy is adamant that there will be no option for twins. Says the beam, while wider than standard, is still not big enough for twins. I'm not sure I buy that but hope its not true. They also said the one at the MIA boat show was the first one off the floor and that by the time it makes it into production for 2020 they will likely have tweaked a few things. That also seems odd. It is FB for what its worth.
This is a fable as most offshore race boats that have twin merc racing motors are still on a standard 8ft 6in beam. Now take in mind they do not have walk thru transom's but they could for sure fit twins on a 9ft beam.
Doesn't the 282 have a 9 foot beam and offer twins ?
Yes but the 282 is a center walk through so they dont have issues like the side transom walk throughs do. The center walk through is essentially a step over the engine compartment
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by cmattj »

My thoughts are the transom and stringers weren’t thought out to handle twins. The 282,296 R30 have a stringer system (4 )that will do both in correct spacing for mounts.

The A29 is definitely appealing to day boating that allows limited going to shore . ( escape room with A/C? .. A/C vents on the driver) . It’s going to become a Floating Base camp with abilities to do some watersports. I get it.

Oh it needs Twins !! but the side entry as you mentioned kills the Offering they way they molded it. Even twin Small Blocks would make it tight unless they staggar the engines like ChrisCraft does. ( but that takes 3- 4 feet out of the cockpit).
R30 is 9.6 with Twin BB and a side entry so that where they seem to start.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by mdadgar »

jhnmdahl wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 am
I wonder if there would be a market for an inline 6 cylinder marine engine for such applications. I know BMW still makes their six cylinder engines as straight sixes...
Mercedes has started making them again, too.

Heck, the Cummins turbodiesel in the Ram HD trucks is a straight-6.

They are great for torque and SO SMOOOOTH.

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Tuscany »

If only MD... what a great engine.
The problem is that diesel is an expensive and heavy platform with lots of space robbing emissions equipment. Straight 6 diesel platforms run a tighter RPM range, which would affected speed. My little VP runs a huge RPM span, and until there are two speed transmissions in an outdrive, diesels are probably useless for our boats.
It would be great in a larger boat, but probably not viable in our sporty bowriders.

Even a pair of small V-6 engines would be a much better choice than a single 430 in that boat. Personally as a single engine, I wouldn’t bother even looking at it. For that cost, you are entering a different category of boating, with better choices available.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Ytmsn »

Hmm. This may grow on me, but not much of a fan right now. Especially looking at the lines of the Formula and A29 side by side.

I wonder if that hideous looking steering wheel doubles as a throwable life preserver? Undoubtedly the worst part of the entire boat.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1608
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: St. Louis area
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by Table Rockin »

Tuscany wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 am IPersonally as a single engine, I wouldn’t bother even looking at it. For that cost, you are entering a different category of boating, with better choices available.
This. They are pricing themselves out of the market without an option for twins. Overall I think its a sharp enough looking boat (other than that hardtop) but if your going to pay $200k+ out the door for a brand new boat....are you going to be happy with a single engine? Its easily $50k more out the door than the R7 and its pretty even priced with the R30. Its in a weird spot price point wise. I'm not a huge fan of the R30's monstrous sunpad that takes up a ton of interior space but I think I'd go that route before spending equal money on a shorter, skinnier, less powerful boat.

BTW I do think the inflatable mechanism is a cool idea. Those lilypad things are kind of a PITA to haul around on your transom.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: New A series

Post by tgrace98 »

Table Rockin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:16 am
Tuscany wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 am IPersonally as a single engine, I wouldn’t bother even looking at it. For that cost, you are entering a different category of boating, with better choices available.
This. They are pricing themselves out of the market without an option for twins. Overall I think its a sharp enough looking boat (other than that hardtop) but if your going to pay $200k+ out the door for a brand new boat....are you going to be happy with a single engine? Its easily $50k more out the door than the R7 and its pretty even priced with the R30. Its in a weird spot price point wise. I'm not a huge fan of the R30's monstrous sunpad that takes up a ton of interior space but I think I'd go that route before spending equal money on a shorter, skinnier, less powerful boat.

BTW I do think the inflatable mechanism is a cool idea. Those lilypad things are kind of a PITA to haul around on your transom.

Yeah I saw on the facebook group that they showed the A29 at Miami with a sticker price of 244K :shock:

I am sure that is MSRP but you are still looking at a 200k price tag out the door after discounts. So that puts it easily at 50k more than a standard stern drive R7 decked out. And in the same realm as a lightly optioned R30 with twin 5.3's. For that money I would for sure get the R30. The day cabin in the A29 looks useless and the head is in the middle of the floor. No thanks. Big Miss by Cobalt if you ask me.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 51 guests