That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:41 pm
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Skiingstrongman »

The dealer at my marina said he has never seen a cobalt blister in all his time there. He said they have seen a lot of it from one supposed higher end boat and also a little from another common cobalt competitor.
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Ytmsn »

When I got my boat you could literally write your name in the chalk.
20170729_050513.jpg
I was told there isn't a boat out there that will compare to Cobalt gel coat, and that it would come back as good as new. And they were right!
20170312_163822.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Nicad
Commander
Commander
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Nicad »

Did you bring that finish back yourself Ytmsn? Looks fantastic.
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Ytmsn »

Thanks Nicad! Yessir, I did for the most part. I hired a guy to wet sand, buff, and paint the accent stripe. Some parts he did well and some not so much. I rebuffed everything when I got it home.

Here is the story..

http://www.cobaltchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=195
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Ytmsn »

Tusc your boat is absolutely beautiful. That finish is flawless!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Tuscany »

Ytmsn wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:12 am When I got my boat you could literally write your name in the chalk.
20170729_050513.jpg

I was told there isn't a boat out there that will compare to Cobalt gel coat, and that it would come back as good as new. And they were right!
20170312_163822.jpg
..and that same exact Cobalt finish comes right back to life! Beautiful job YT.
It is pretty amazing.
I just read how Cobalt cleans and then waxes their hull molds after every use. The competition usually casts at least 7 hulls before cleaning and waxing.
When I was at the International boat show in Toronto looking at boats, their rep told me about the difference in the ingredients for the glass and gel coat they use over everyone, and mentioned the crap Sea-Ray uses. I can't remember what it was.
They seemed to think I was considering something else. They didn't know they had my wife at hello. I remember dragging her around there, and she said she saw what she wanted, and let's go. :D
Honestly, I didn't see a single boat that was as attractive as a Cobalt interior, and only Formula was as nice on the exterior.
Last edited by Tuscany on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Driller »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 pm I won't admit how long I looked at the picture, trying to figure out where the boat was...
I just figured it out. Moma always said I was a little slow, even with the rub rail hint. That's some shine.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Ytmsn »

Driller wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:34 am
jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:27 pm I won't admit how long I looked at the picture, trying to figure out where the boat was...
I just figured it out. Moma always said I was a little slow, even with the rub rail hint. That's some shine.
That's because you're from Texas! 😁 I've only worked there for 20 years so you know I have to give you a hard time!

The bottom of my boat was in pretty bad shape. It wasn't that dirty, but really really chaulky. The guy I hired spent most of his time there, and not quite as much up on the sides, so I had to redo it. But what he did on the bottom was nothing short of amazing. You can tell from this picture how good the gelcoat comes back-to life. You can see the reflections from the water on the white part pretty good .
20170528_173155-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Big Block Power »

Skiingstrongman wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 am The dealer at my marina said he has never seen a cobalt blister in all his time there. He said they have seen a lot of it from one supposed higher end boat and also a little from another common cobalt competitor.
Not too burst any bubble here but my buddy from Indy just sold his 226 and it blistered and cracked all over inside and out. I would have cried. It was I think a 2001. It sat in the water 1 year he had it. It looked better after it say in the off season.

But after 14 years it still shines a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Tuscany »

Look at that....
BB, your boat shows that if taken care of, showroom condition lasts with a Cobalt.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:41 pm
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Skiingstrongman »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:21 am
Skiingstrongman wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:57 am The dealer at my marina said he has never seen a cobalt blister in all his time there. He said they have seen a lot of it from one supposed higher end boat and also a little from another common cobalt competitor.
Not too burst any bubble here but my buddy from Indy just sold his 226 and it blistered and cracked all over inside and out. I would have cried. It was I think a 2001. It sat in the water 1 year he had it. It looked better after it say in the off season.

But after 14 years it still shines a bit.
That's the first I have heard of it from a cobalt. Could be the water I know some guys in freshwater in other parts of the country have issues with fouling and blistering without bottom paint whereas you could count on one hand the amount of bottom painted boats in the lake we are in.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes bottom paint helps. His even did it on the sides. He had cracks in the inside on the floors and stuff. It was pretty bad. I thought I had his pictures but I don't.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Tuscany »

There has to be more to that story. A blister here, maybe there...on such a small fraction of a percentage point built.
Multiple interior issues and exterior blistering?
Something happened, and it wasn't to do with neglecting the boat. Sounds like a bad batch of resins or major impurities when formed.
Something weird happened during that boat build.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Ytmsn »

Or something caustic in the water?
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: That Legendary Cobalt Shine.

Post by Big Block Power »

It wasn't purdy. He couldn't find his pictures either.oh well.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DuckDuckGo [Bot] and 31 guests