Marker One M27 taking on water

Post Reply
Keowee_Ken
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 8:44 pm
Contact:

Marker One M27 taking on water

Post by Keowee_Ken »

Picked up a lightly used 2015 M27. Took it out for a couple of hours today. Towards the end I could tell we were sitting really low in the water, so it seemed we must’ve taken in some water. It was a beautiful sunny day, so nothing entering from above. Also, before leaving the cover of the dock for the first time in like a week, I turned on the bilge pump and only got a little bit of water out.

Once I turned on the bilge pump after being out on the lake for awhile, it was pumping for quite some time. Eventually I opened the ski locker and noticed it had a good bit of water in there even though the pump had been working for a while. Troubling.

Here’s the thing that I wondered as a first time Tritoon owner. If I did repeated backing maneuvers just practicing handling the boat, and never had the bilge pump on, could I have pushed a good bit of water up into the center toon? Should the bilge pump be left on on this boat? It didn’t seem like it was shutting off automatically the first time I drove it, so I thought maybe for some reason it’s not automatic.

Anyway, looking for any feedback that might help me not be concerned that there’s something more structurally problematic going on.
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Marker One M27 taking on water

Post by AsLan7 »

.
Hey KK. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

MNlakebumb has a Marker one and can chime in on your questions. Not owning a Tritoon myself, I’m not familiar with your challenge.

Do you have any pics?

Again welcome aboard mate!

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Keowee_Ken
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 8:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Marker One M27 taking on water

Post by Keowee_Ken »

Thanks! Unfortunately didn’t take any pics today. Just felt sluggish, and noticed stern seemingly plowing kinda deep in the water. Had taken on quite a bit of water, but bilge pump seemed to resolve for now.
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Marker One M27 taking on water

Post by Bfun220 »

Keowee_Ken wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:04 pm Picked up a lightly used 2015 M27. Took it out for a couple of hours today. Towards the end I could tell we were sitting really low in the water, so it seemed we must’ve taken in some water. It was a beautiful sunny day, so nothing entering from above. Also, before leaving the cover of the dock for the first time in like a week, I turned on the bilge pump and only got a little bit of water out.

Once I turned on the bilge pump after being out on the lake for awhile, it was pumping for quite some time. Eventually I opened the ski locker and noticed it had a good bit of water in there even though the pump had been working for a while. Troubling.

Here’s the thing that I wondered as a first time Tritoon owner. If I did repeated backing maneuvers just practicing handling the boat, and never had the bilge pump on, could I have pushed a good bit of water up into the center toon? Should the bilge pump be left on on this boat? It didn’t seem like it was shutting off automatically the first time I drove it, so I thought maybe for some reason it’s not automatic.

Anyway, looking for any feedback that might help me not be concerned that there’s something more structurally problematic going on.
I'm not going to much help as far as how/why you got water in your boat but I don't think it should take on water doing any maneuvers. But as far as the bilge pump, it should have turned on automatically. You shouldn't have to turn it on. I would start by looking at the float switch .
2018 r5
2003 220
MikeBo
Commander
Commander
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 pm
Location: Stilwell, Ks.
Contact:

Re: Marker One M27 taking on water

Post by MikeBo »

I would get that boat out of the water and give it a good examination...it shouldn’t have water
Cobalt 292, white with blue sport stripes, twin Volvo 5.7’s.

Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Marker One M27 taking on water

Post by MnLakeBum »

Keowee_Ken wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:04 pm Picked up a lightly used 2015 M27. Took it out for a couple of hours today. Towards the end I could tell we were sitting really low in the water, so it seemed we must’ve taken in some water. It was a beautiful sunny day, so nothing entering from above. Also, before leaving the cover of the dock for the first time in like a week, I turned on the bilge pump and only got a little bit of water out.

Once I turned on the bilge pump after being out on the lake for awhile, it was pumping for quite some time. Eventually I opened the ski locker and noticed it had a good bit of water in there even though the pump had been working for a while. Troubling.

Here’s the thing that I wondered as a first time Tritoon owner. If I did repeated backing maneuvers just practicing handling the boat, and never had the bilge pump on, could I have pushed a good bit of water up into the center toon? Should the bilge pump be left on on this boat? It didn’t seem like it was shutting off automatically the first time I drove it, so I thought maybe for some reason it’s not automatic.

Anyway, looking for any feedback that might help me not be concerned that there’s something more structurally problematic going on.
I didn't see this thread until now. The toons will not take on water during any ordinary maneuvers including backing up. I've only noticed my bilge pump run maybe a dozen times since I purchased my M27 but it stays in a covered slip and I don't get caught in the rain often. The bilge pump is automatic so you don't have to worry about leaving or turning it on.

Believe it or not when the dealer who stored it dropped mine in the water this year they forgot to put in the plug which I didn't discover until the next day. Luckily it was just the center toon plug and not all three as it was parked in the water for a few hours before I picked it up. Good luck with your M27 and I'm 100% sure you will love it. I put 100+ hours a year on mine and the only problem I've had was a leak in a power steering hose last Saturday which made it quite a challenge for my son to drive it home from the flotilla they were at 12 miles north of our home on the busiest boating day of the year, lol. The hose comes in by tomorrow so we'll have it back in the water within 48 hours. I couldn't resist reminding my wife "this is why we have two boats". We had 17 people at our home when the steering went out on Saturday so we put about 6 hours on the R5 on Sunday. :D
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
User avatar
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2981
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Antioch, IL
Contact:

Re: Marker One M27 taking on water

Post by akorcovelos »

Pull it out and if there aren’t any obvious plugs missing you’ll need to pressure test the toons to see where it’s leaking. If you have access to shop air just bring the pressure up to 25psi and get a spray bottle with water/dish soap and start spraying until you see bubbles.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests