What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
-
Lee St.Clair
- Commander

- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
- Location: Polson,Montana
- Contact:
What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
I have a Cobalt 190. Some of the upholstery which I guess is vinyl or naugahide, has discolored a bit from the sun. Is there a dye available that I can redo those areas?
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
Yecks just have them recovered. You can get a professional grade dye but it won't last forever and it won't match. You need to know how to mix it. Or pay Dr Viynl to do it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Norris_Boating
- Captain

- Posts: 481
- Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am
- Location: Tennessee
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
You might want to try a magic eraser, then put some conditioner on it afterwards.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
Pictures?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Lee St.Clair
- Commander

- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
- Location: Polson,Montana
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
The boat is in storage right now. But next time I get down there I'll take pics. The upholstery is in perfect condition. No tears ,rips or worn areas. There is some discoloring on a couple of the cushions but that area is just as supple and nice as all the rest. I just thought there might be some sort of dye to recolor it.
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
- bruceb58
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1258
- Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm
- Location: Lake Tahoe
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
The problem with using a Magic Eraser is that it is abrasive. It will take off some of the vinyl's top layer. If it is old enough, may not matter anyway. It will stain easier from then on if you use it. Most vinyl manufacturers say not to use them on new vinyl.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
Use bio kleen amazing cleaner on that area and let it sit in the sun all day. They say 24 hours it may help!
You ever hear of Dr Viynl?
We use them all the time. They are like paint less dent guys. They work magic. Let's see the seat cover.
You ever hear of Dr Viynl?
We use them all the time. They are like paint less dent guys. They work magic. Let's see the seat cover.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Lee St.Clair
- Commander

- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
- Location: Polson,Montana
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
I checked it out and the closest DrVinyl to me is thousands of miles away. I doubt they travel that far
I'll post pictures as soon as I can get down to where it's stored.
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
Bummer. Try calling your local user car dealer or the dealership where you bring your car and ask them who they use.Lee St.Clair wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:35 pm I checked it out and the closest DrVinyl to me is thousands of miles away. I doubt they travel that farI'll post pictures as soon as I can get down to where it's stored.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
Do you use any conditioner products on the vinyl? Some of them can discolor vinyl. I say this because the sun damaged vinyl I have seen is hardened. Identifying the cause or type of damage can steer you in the proper corrective direction.Lee St.Clair wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:43 pm The boat is in storage right now. But next time I get down there I'll take pics. The upholstery is in perfect condition. No tears ,rips or worn areas. There is some discoloring on a couple of the cushions but that area is just as supple and nice as all the rest. I just thought there might be some sort of dye to recolor it.
CS23
-
Lee St.Clair
- Commander

- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
- Location: Polson,Montana
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
I haven't used anything on the vinyl because I just purchased the boat. Since there seems to be no hardening at all in the area where the discoloring is, it leads me to believe it is just sun damage. There are some dye products on the market so I will probably give one of them a try. In the meantime, I'll try to find an 'expert' upholstery person locally that may have knowledge of what is best to do. Thanks to all for your input on my question. I'm just an old guy still trying to learn. 
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
-
Lee St.Clair
- Commander

- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
- Location: Polson,Montana
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
In my continuing quest as to what to do about the upholstery. I am thinking that dying might now be the best option. I am thinking of removing the seats and having them re upholstered. The seats are no problem getting out . The back rests seem to be another problem. I see no obvious way they are installed. Are they glued to the sides of the boat ? How do you remove them ?
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
I could be wrong but the ones around the bow just push up and they will come out. Cross your fingers!
I think they are sitting in slots.
I think they are sitting in slots.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Lee St.Clair
- Commander

- Posts: 70
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 am
- Location: Polson,Montana
- Contact:
Re: What product to use for dyeing upholstery?
as soon as it quits raining, I'll give that a try. I hadn't thought of that but I can't see how it can be done otherwise because there is virtually no access behind that fiberglass they are mounted to.
1996 Cobalt 190
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
5 litre Volvo/ Penta
UW blue lights
Ford 302 engine
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests