Changing your New Generation VP impeller
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
A quick update - the Sherwood tool I ordered doesn't even fit the impeller threads on my boat. Apparently my impeller (Volvo 21213664 or Sierra 18-30778) isn't threaded 3/4x16, but is probably M16x1.5 (edit - it's M18x1.5 - see below). So, I'm convinced the internally threaded nut tool is a good idea, but can't seem to find specs on any of them as to what the external thread is. I've noticed Johnson Pump makes a very similar impeller tool that is sometimes cheaper and easier to find, but again lacks a good description of what the external thread size is in any of their product descriptions.
John
John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
-
2ridgebacks
- Captain

- Posts: 251
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm
- Location: Southern Indiana
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
I use self modified vise grips for pinching off air lines at work. I can't see why these wouldn't work for clamping off the inlet hose during an impeller change.

https://www.harborfreight.com/radiator- ... RcQAvD_BwE

https://www.harborfreight.com/radiator- ... RcQAvD_BwE
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Volvo 8.1 400hp
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
Before crushing the hoses which on mine are the size of a rad hose. You could get like a 2 inch round plug and just plug it.2ridgebacks wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm I use self modified vise grips for pinching off air lines at work. I can't see why these wouldn't work for clamping off the inlet hose during an impeller change.
https://www.harborfreight.com/radiator- ... RcQAvD_BwE
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
A plug is a much better idea. Wouldnt want to damage the hose. Some people even just in a rag. On my R5, I dont even need to worry about the water coming in as the bilge can out pump it by maybe 5x, and it only takes 5m or so to swap the impeller.
John - I'll bet one of those Johnson pullers will work. I poked around a bit and also couldnt figure out the threading of your impeller. Hope you can figure it out - are you sure it is even threaded?
John - I'll bet one of those Johnson pullers will work. I poked around a bit and also couldnt figure out the threading of your impeller. Hope you can figure it out - are you sure it is even threaded?
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
-
2ridgebacks
- Captain

- Posts: 251
- Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm
- Location: Southern Indiana
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
The hoses on mine are similar to automotive hoses. It would be difficult to damage them with this tool or something similar.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Volvo 8.1 400hp
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
Yep, I have the replacement one in hand, and can see the threads. Ordered a cheap M16x1.5 thread converter on Amazon, and will find a suitable bolt for the inner threads if it fits the impeller. I’ll keep this thread updated,greenhut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:49 pmJohn - I'll bet one of those Johnson pullers will work. I poked around a bit and also couldnt figure out the threading of your impeller. Hope you can figure it out - are you sure it is even threaded?
John
Edit - this was the wrong size - see below. It was M18x1.5.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
This is a picture of a newer Gen impeller housing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
I ordered one of the "Johnson style" pullers from Yanmar (the Volvo and Johnson ones didn't specify what the thread size was, so it was hard to choose) in M18x1.5mm, and it fits the threads on my impeller great. Stock impeller is Volvo 21213664, replacement/substitute impeller is Sierra 18-30778, for the 5.7L engine in my 2015 210. Should be the same for the V8 225, 300, and 320, and some others as well.jhnmdahl wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:40 pmYep, I have the replacement one in hand, and can see the threads. Ordered a cheap M16x1.5 thread converter on Amazon, and will find a suitable bolt for the inner threads if it fits the impeller. I’ll keep this thread updated,greenhut wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:49 pmJohn - I'll bet one of those Johnson pullers will work. I poked around a bit and also couldnt figure out the threading of your impeller. Hope you can figure it out - are you sure it is even threaded?
The Yanmar part number was 129671-92110, cost about $20.
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
pump looks same as mine, but this is the slightly older newer engine
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
Great write up. I just changed the impeller on my 2014 VP 6.0 380hp yesterday. I have always just had my dealer do it when they winterize it but I forgot to tell them to do it last fall. It took less than a half hour total. The impeller does stick in the housing tight. I am glad I ordered the the Sherwood puller, without it it would have been a bear to get it pulled out! I even used the puller to help get it slid in. The 2 year old impeller looked new yet but it is good peace of mind to have a new one. I even ordered a spare impeller and threw it in the head for a just in case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Krob1114
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1876
- Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 am
- Location: Greer’s Ferry Lake, AR
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
I may be cheap, and it may not work, but I had my impeller in the car, took it to a hardware store, and bought a 4" bolt with the same threads and will take vise grips to lake when I try and change impeller. (Talk about a run on sentence). $5.
Great work Greenhut!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great work Greenhut!!!!!!!!!!!!
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Home in Hernando, MS
- bruceb58
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1258
- Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm
- Location: Lake Tahoe
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
Amazing...or maybe not amazing that a couple bolts are over $15. Of course I paid over $30 for Mercury water pump alignment bolts for an outboard motor. I would have bought the Volvo tool too.mdadgar wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm OK, Volvo impeller "special tool" arrived today.
IMG_0460.jpg
I ordered it from marinepartsexpress.com for $15.33 plus $12 USPS shipping.
Haven't tried it yet to make sure it will screw into my impeller, but I will do that and report back.
- Mark
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
Nicely done guys!
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
Just want to chime in here and say thanks for the tutorial. I ordered the puller from Sherwood since the Gen 5 V6 uses the same impeller and it was a piece of cake. I was surprised to see a bit of a wear pattern on my impeller from the holes where the water enters and exits the impeller housing. I guess it was good I changed it...
2022 CS23 Volvo 280/DP
-
sailor55330
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1268
- Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
- Contact:
Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller
Great write up. One thing to add...sometimes the impeller will "stick" to the housing...I read it's called dry adhesion or dry bonding--the rubber sticks to the housing. I experienced this. I used the Sherwood puller and could only get mine to move as far as the threads woudl go in...it's tough place to get leverage. I read online about someone "bumping" the engine but not starting it to break the dry adhesion--kind of like you would when adjusting rocker arms. As a last resort, I tried it and then the impeller wiggled right out. Just another trick to add to the book as I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

