Page 1 of 2
Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:07 pm
by mdadgar
California DMV claims I need to submit a "motor hang tag" (some kid of emissions certificate) to register my new-to-me 2013 A25.
No one I've talked to here knows WTF the DMV is talking about. I emailed Cobalt - "contact your engine manufacturer." I called Volvo Penta - no idea. I called a local Volvo Penta dealer - no idea.
Anyone know what this is?
- Mark
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:52 pm
by Big Block Power
Is it just the engine serial number?
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm
by cmattj
I Google it from my phone. Pretty tricky I am. Not sure this link will help or just confuse you more.
Geeze get it USCG documented

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... ERES&CVID=
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:46 pm
by AsLan7
Hey nice find Matt! Boy am I glad I don’t have to deal with those regulations for both our boat and vehicles.

Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm
by mdadgar
Right - I found that, too.
Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.
Sigh.
- Mark
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am
by cmattj
mdadgar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm
Right - I found that, too.
Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.
Sigh.
- Mark
My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.
Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.
Geeze I love our state . Keep us posted
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 am
by Big Block Power
cmattj wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am
mdadgar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm
Right - I found that, too.
Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.
Sigh.
- Mark
My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.
Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.
Geeze I love our state . Keep us posted
The bad thing is his boat came from China or a diff state that has no such rulz!!
I'm sure we can Make a EFFN tag on the internet somewhere. Lol
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:10 pm
by mdadgar
cmattj wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am
My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.
Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.
Private sale, secondhand boat.
I'm going to try the "secondhand private sale, no hang tag" letter approach and see what happens.
- Mark
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:49 am
by Ytmsn
Or go with the USCG registration and give the DMV the finger.
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:07 am
by mdadgar
Ytmsn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:49 am
Or go with the USCG registration and give the DMV the finger.
That is sorely tempting.
I wonder if I can skirt the use tax that way, too.
- Mark
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am
by Ytmsn
Matt and tgrace can tell you more about it, but yes, once its registered with the USCG you dont have to buy a sticker for it every year. I'm going to do the same thing this spring.
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm
by zane@zcsonline.com
Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm
by Big Block Power
zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm
Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
Welcome. I'm no help but Mark is on here alot so you might be in luck on getting a answer. In the meantime go to the new men bet section and introduce yourself and post some pictures of this beauty

Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:42 pm
by AsLan7
zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm
Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
.
Hey Zane....Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
Being from PA, I'm afraid I'm of no use either. Let's see if this resurrected thread will get you an answer.
Yes, please post a pic of your 26SD.
Again, welcome aboard mate!
.
Re: Motor hang tag?
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:35 pm
by mdadgar
zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm
Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
Zane, I filled out a Statement Of Fact and explained that it was a second-hand boat and that it was built in accordance with emissions standards in the year it was produced, blah blah blah. The DMV didn't bat an eye at that.
Honestly, they were probably too distracted by the fact that I bought the boat from a state that doesn't issue titles for boats. That was an 8 month battle before they finally relented and gave me a registration.
Good times.
- Mark