Motor hang tag?

mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Motor hang tag?

Post by mdadgar »

California DMV claims I need to submit a "motor hang tag" (some kid of emissions certificate) to register my new-to-me 2013 A25.

No one I've talked to here knows WTF the DMV is talking about. I emailed Cobalt - "contact your engine manufacturer." I called Volvo Penta - no idea. I called a local Volvo Penta dealer - no idea.

Anyone know what this is?

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by Big Block Power »

Is it just the engine serial number?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by cmattj »

I Google it from my phone. Pretty tricky I am. Not sure this link will help or just confuse you more.

Geeze get it USCG documented🤣🤣

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... ERES&CVID=
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:31 pm I Google it from my phone. Pretty tricky I am. Not sure this link will help or just confuse you more.

Geeze get it USCG documented🤣🤣

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... ERES&CVID=
Hey nice find Matt! Boy am I glad I don’t have to deal with those regulations for both our boat and vehicles. :roll:
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by mdadgar »

Right - I found that, too.

Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.

Sigh.

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by cmattj »

mdadgar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm Right - I found that, too.

Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.

Sigh.

- Mark
My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.

Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.

Geeze I love our state . Keep us posted
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by Big Block Power »

cmattj wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am
mdadgar wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:11 pm Right - I found that, too.

Note, however, that it does not mention WHERE THE EFF you actually get said hang tag.

Sigh.

- Mark
My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.

Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.

Geeze I love our state . Keep us posted
The bad thing is his boat came from China or a diff state that has no such rulz!!

I'm sure we can Make a EFFN tag on the internet somewhere. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by mdadgar »

cmattj wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am My understanding is the Retail seller is required to submit this “ hang tag” for verification that it is correctly labeled in compliance with emissions.

Was your baby a private sale or dealer? It’s almost as if the requirements for smog are the responsibility of the seller. Just like with our cars.
Private sale, secondhand boat.

I'm going to try the "secondhand private sale, no hang tag" letter approach and see what happens.

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by Ytmsn »

Or go with the USCG registration and give the DMV the finger.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by mdadgar »

Ytmsn wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:49 am Or go with the USCG registration and give the DMV the finger.
That is sorely tempting.

I wonder if I can skirt the use tax that way, too.

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by Ytmsn »

Matt and tgrace can tell you more about it, but yes, once its registered with the USCG you dont have to buy a sticker for it every year. I'm going to do the same thing this spring.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
zane@zcsonline.com
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:08 pm
Location: CA
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by zane@zcsonline.com »

Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by Big Block Power »

zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
Welcome. I'm no help but Mark is on here alot so you might be in luck on getting a answer. In the meantime go to the new men bet section and introduce yourself and post some pictures of this beauty👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by AsLan7 »

zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
.
Hey Zane....Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

Being from PA, I'm afraid I'm of no use either. Let's see if this resurrected thread will get you an answer.

Yes, please post a pic of your 26SD.

Again, welcome aboard mate!

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Motor hang tag?

Post by mdadgar »

zane@zcsonline.com wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm Hi, just joined the forum. Im having the same issue with DMV and this silly Cal tag. Just curious if anyone resolved. I bought a 15 26SD from Florida. cheers Z
Zane, I filled out a Statement Of Fact and explained that it was a second-hand boat and that it was built in accordance with emissions standards in the year it was produced, blah blah blah. The DMV didn't bat an eye at that.

Honestly, they were probably too distracted by the fact that I bought the boat from a state that doesn't issue titles for boats. That was an 8 month battle before they finally relented and gave me a registration.

Good times.

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 65 guests