Page 1 of 2
Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:23 am
by KSJ
Profile
KSJ • 5 minutes ago
First time poster... I only put about 10 hours a season on my boat for the past 5 years and am wondering if I really need to have extensive maintenance done every other year which the Marina recommends before even looking at the boat. How can I tell whether the outdrive should be pulled and serviced, the impeller replaced, lower unit serviced, manifold bolts retorqued and oil/filter changed for a total of $1300?I have a 2005 Cobalt 250 and I run it on Lake Superior. It’s in the water 3-5 weeks only and serviced in WI. I don’t utilize a mechanic nearby while it’s in the water.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:16 am
by Mike in SC
I'm going to watch this post as I have some of the same questions as you. I bought my '03 this summer and can't be sure of previous maintenance performed.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:02 am
by AsLan7
.
Hello KSJ. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
In regard to your question, you do NOT need to have EXTENSIVE maintenance performed each year with the way you use your boat. A thorough checkup would be more appropriate. The first question to ask is what make and model engine do you have?
If you would like the exact VP service recommendations, you can enter your serial number
here.
Or
For your year, the Mercruiser maintenance schedule is located
here.
Do you have any pics of your Cobalt?
Again, welcome aboard mate.
.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:20 am
by cmattj
Nice link A7!
So what have you been doing, or done in the last 5 years of owning her.
Remember oils once heat cycled are subject to normal oxidation as a result of time as well. We service Vehicles yearly that people just stare at in their garage.( Corvette for example).
Rubber products like belts, hoses and spark plug wires don’t care about hours..... just time exposed.
The other lube points and outdrive to engine alignment are also important if never done.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:49 am
by KSJ
]Thank you AsLan7. It’s a Mercruiser 496Mag in a 2005 250. I just feel like some of the things are unnecessary like $400 oil change and pulling the outdrive and replacing impeller.
Just wondering what’s crucial despite engine hours.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am
by tgrace98
With boats the way I look at it yearly maintenance is necessary. wether you put 10hrs on a boat a year or 100. Fluids break down over time and wear and tear parts wear out over time. If 1300 bucks a year for 10hrs is to much then it might be time to consider a different hobby. Sorry if I am being rash.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:52 am
by ajcampen
Oil change is supper simple. You could do it yourself for $100 or so plus one time purchase of oil extractor tool and gear line pump. I would definitely do oil and gear lube. Plus lube engine joints
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:08 am
by jhnmdahl
Oil and plugs are cheap and easy to do at home. I'd add water pump impeller to that list too, as it requires only basic wrenching and is a cheap rubber part that tends to wear out over time and ruin your day once it goes bad. Pulling the outdrive I'm more mixed on - may be something you have the dealer do once in a long while (every 7 years maybe?), but you don't really know how necessary it might be until it's out.
Replace fluids on schedule and keep it clean and protected (which it sounds like you do), and you'll slow down a lot of the other degradation due to time.
Another thing that may help in WI is finding an independent shop that does a lot of Mercury sterndrive work and let them do it over the winter, so you're not paying dealer shop prices.
John
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 am
by Bfun220
jhnmdahl wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:08 am
Another thing that may help in WI is finding an independent shop that does a lot of Mercury sterndrive work and let them do it over the winter, so you're not paying dealer shop prices.
Those prices are crazy. I have a mobile marine service come to my house. They change fluids, pull the out drive and winterize for less than $400. If it's been 5 years it's time . Just shop for better pricing.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am
by BIGGUSBLOCKUS
Oil in a sump will not age much. I have several old cars that see very low use so those get full synthetic oil and filter changes every 3 years. Oil samples taken from these vehicles and sent to Blackstone labs confirms that the oil has lots of life left when it is changed. In fact I'll use it in my small 4 cycle engines after it comes out of the cars.
Boat fluids especially the lower unit lube are subject to water contamination so they should be changed once a year regardless of use in my opinion.
Impeller every 3 years if low hour use.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:23 pm
by Driller
I am a big fan of following the preventive maintenance schedule and my dealers recommendations. Do it on my cars and my boat. That said, I don't own a trailer and have to have my boat trailered to do major service. So far here's the schedule I follow:
- Every year:
-OIl change and winterize
-Check out drive to be sure it is full and no discoloration
-Every other year:
-Oil change and winterize
-Serpentine Belt
-Impeller
-Full tuneup
-Full out drive service (Lower unit Oil, gimble bearing check, alignment check, bellows replaced, etc.)
- General check on all the rest including batteries
- Let them know of any strange noises etc and have them check it out.
Dealer doesn't recommend changing the outdrive oil every year if there is no indication of trouble.
The rest of the small items I take care of myself. If I ever have a problem, I'll add it to my list.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:41 pm
by Mike in SC
Bellows every other year?
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:52 pm
by Big Block Power
Ok I'm sure we have gone through this a million times so starts 1 more.
Change oil and filter
Change fuel water seperator
Check belt check bellows
Checks drive pins check check check
Tighten all hose clamps.
Change drive oil every other year.
Change impeller every other year.
Check drive alignment I think every 100 or 200 hours. Then check the u joints and gimble stuff.
Trailer bearings every other year. Every year of you made a ton of trips. Unless you have the special no maintenance bearings.
Add Corsa Exhaust.
Swap to a BB
Pull engine paint bilge when changing oil. Every year.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:57 pm
by Mike in SC
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:52 pm
Ok I'm sure we have gone through this a million times so starts 1 more.
Change oil and filter
Change fuel water seperator
Check belt check bellows
Checks drive pins check check check
Tighten all hose clamps.
Change drive oil every other year.
Change impeller every other year.
Check drive alignment I think every 100 or 200 hours. Then check the u joints and gimble stuff.
Trailer bearings every other year. Every year of you made a ton of trips. Unless you have the special no maintenance bearings.
Add Corsa Exhaust.
Swap to a BB
Pull engine paint bilge when changing oil. Every year.
Whew!
Thanks for clearing that up for me, and I'm sure there's someone in the back of the classroom too bashful to ask the questions!
Going to have to add the Corsa exhaust just once I hope...and pretty sure you forgot the flagpole!
As an ex-navy submariner, I don't think I'm going to paint any more bilges, but I might wipe them down a bit, just for old times sake.
But thanks!
Mike.
Re: Scheduled maintenance vs necessary
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:58 pm
by Big Block Power
Mike in SC wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:52 pm
Ok I'm sure we have gone through this a million times so starts 1 more.
Change oil and filter
Change fuel water seperator
Check belt check bellows
Checks drive pins check check check
Tighten all hose clamps.
Change drive oil every other year.
Change impeller every other year.
Check drive alignment I think every 100 or 200 hours. Then check the u joints and gimble stuff.
Trailer bearings every other year. Every year of you made a ton of trips. Unless you have the special no maintenance bearings.
Add Corsa Exhaust.
Swap to a BB
Pull engine paint bilge when changing oil. Every year.
Whew!
Thanks for clearing that up for me, and I'm sure there's someone in the back of the classroom too bashful to ask the questions!
Going to have to add the Corsa exhaust just once I hope...and pretty sure you forgot the flagpole!
As an ex-navy submariner, I don't think I'm going to paint any more bilges, but I might wipe them down a bit, just for old times sake.
But thanks!
Mike.
That's awesome Mike.