Mooring cover alteration

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Post Reply
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Mooring cover alteration

Post by ajcampen »

Cobalt made significant changes to their mooring cover design in ‘17 or so. Mainly the gap around the tower let’s in water. I just had mine altered and the pic looks good. I hope it works well and solves my issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
JTinMO
Captain
Captain
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Kansas City, MO
Contact:

Re: Mooring cover alteration

Post by JTinMO »

I like it. Looks like a better solution, but wouldn't some water still get in there where you have the two openings? It's much better than the huge single opening, I'll give you that.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: Mooring cover alteration

Post by ajcampen »

JTinMO wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:34 pm I like it. Looks like a better solution, but wouldn't some water still get in there where you have the two openings? It's much better than the huge single opening, I'll give you that.
Thanks. Not sure on that will and won’t get in. It is similar to the top picture which is the way cobalt makes them
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
JTinMO
Captain
Captain
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Kansas City, MO
Contact:

Re: Mooring cover alteration

Post by JTinMO »

Would be interested to hear long term how it works. I have similar small holes where my bimini poles come through the cover, but they are on the outside of the hull, so any water would run down the outside of the boat. In your case the tower mounts on the top of the top cap, so reasonably half of any water intrusion through those holes could/would run into the inside of the boat. That would concern me. Not sure there's much more you can do about it though. I always fear mildew and wetness inside the boat in general.

I'm sure there are hundreds of owners that run the old design one and don't think twice about it.

I'm pretty much on the outside edge of being nitpicky though. I'm the guy that cleans the complete interior before and after every trip out. Including cleaning the windshield inside/out. Of course I have a wife and daughters that completely ignore my orders not to spray aerosol suntan lotion on the boat though. So it's a war of me vs my family to protect the boat.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests