Hello There
We are looking to purchase our first Cobalt and I am looking to learn the differences (besides lengths) between the following boats:
R5
26SD
296
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
David
New Member looking for help..
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: New Member looking for help..
.
Hey David. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!
The 26SD attempts to combine the spaciousness of a deck boat with the versatility of a sport boat and has a squared off bow for beach boarding.
The R5 is more of a sport boat and also comes with surf capability using a forward facing VP drive if desired.
The 296 is more of a cruiser with twin engines to boot.
Where and how would you be using your future Cobalt?
Again welcome aboard mate!
.
Hey David. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!
The 26SD attempts to combine the spaciousness of a deck boat with the versatility of a sport boat and has a squared off bow for beach boarding.
The R5 is more of a sport boat and also comes with surf capability using a forward facing VP drive if desired.
The 296 is more of a cruiser with twin engines to boot.
Where and how would you be using your future Cobalt?
Again welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
-
Norris_Boating
- Captain

- Posts: 481
- Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am
- Location: Tennessee
- Contact:
Re: New Member looking for help..
Welcome David, are you looking for new or used boat?
How are you planning on using the boat and where?
How are you planning on using the boat and where?
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Re: New Member looking for help..
Welcome from Oklahoma and a close welcome to the Cobalt Club!
Those are three different boat styles, so it really all depends on what you plan on doing and how you boat. Personally I'm sure I would enjoy any of them.
Those are three different boat styles, so it really all depends on what you plan on doing and how you boat. Personally I'm sure I would enjoy any of them.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Re: New Member looking for help..
Hi Everyone!
We will be using this boat in Holland Michigan on Lake Michigan. We are looking for something that we can go out into the lake and cruise up and down with the family. I have two younger children so they are not yet into the whole wakeboarding thing yet.
We will be using this boat in Holland Michigan on Lake Michigan. We are looking for something that we can go out into the lake and cruise up and down with the family. I have two younger children so they are not yet into the whole wakeboarding thing yet.
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: New Member looking for help..
For dedicated Lame Michigan boating get the 296 with twins.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: New Member looking for help..
Welcome from Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas. I have to agree. I have a 2014 R5 and we are on a lake in Texas where the wind can create 1 to 2 foot waves before the cruisers and other boats start chopping up the water and it is all but impossible to plane off and just cruise on a weekend without getting beat up pretty good and forget sitting in the front of the boat.akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm For dedicated Lame Michigan boating get the 296 with twins.
As for the size of the boat, it is advertised at 25.5 feet with the 2 foot swim platform or 23.5 feet of real boat. The weight is pretty significant at 4,880 dry and that easily gets up to close to 6,000 pounds when you add gas, gear, and people and the boat is built like a tank, but it still takes a beating unless you captain it like your life depends on it and try to soften the ride.
I've already started planning for my next boat because of this, but I'm not going to mess with 2 more feet. I'm going up to 30 feet or close to it unless I can find a smaller boat that can plane off and run in those conditions. Just my two cents.
2015 Marker One M27
300 HP Mercury Verado outboard
Golden Retriever (Bailey), Flat Coated Retriever (Sadie)
300 HP Mercury Verado outboard
Golden Retriever (Bailey), Flat Coated Retriever (Sadie)
Re: New Member looking for help..
Good Morning
Looks like we’re going to settle on an R5. Used. Found a few 2020 models on Boat trader for 90K but they are out East. Anything in particular I should look for?
Thanks for the help & happy 4th!
Looks like we’re going to settle on an R5. Used. Found a few 2020 models on Boat trader for 90K but they are out East. Anything in particular I should look for?
Thanks for the help & happy 4th!
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: New Member looking for help..
My best one nugget of advice is to focus on the things you can't change easily, like the engine and outdrive or the wakeboard tower/bimini, rather than things like the carpet or stereo that are relatively easy to change (and are likely to be swapped out at some point by many people anyway). The R5 is a great boat stock - it is really pretty well equipped stock other than maybe picking an arch or bimini depending on how you'll use it and a cover.Bambino68 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:20 am Good Morning
Looks like we’re going to settle on an R5. Used. Found a few 2020 models on Boat trader for 90K but they are out East. Anything in particular I should look for?
Thanks for the help & happy 4th!
Most more recent boats come with Volvo by default, although there are some Mercuries out there. In the Volvo line, the V8-300 and V8-350 are the same block (5.3L) while the 380 and 430 are both the 6.2L, so the biggest difference in torque should be moving from the 350 to the 380. Any of the engines will move the boat just fine and I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a V8-300, although if I had my pick I'd probably like a 380 with a duo prop outdrive.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

