Page 1 of 1

New Member looking for help..

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:06 pm
by Bambino68
Hello There

We are looking to purchase our first Cobalt and I am looking to learn the differences (besides lengths) between the following boats:

R5
26SD
296

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

David

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:43 pm
by AsLan7
.
Hey David. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

The 26SD attempts to combine the spaciousness of a deck boat with the versatility of a sport boat and has a squared off bow for beach boarding.

The R5 is more of a sport boat and also comes with surf capability using a forward facing VP drive if desired.

The 296 is more of a cruiser with twin engines to boot.

Where and how would you be using your future Cobalt?

Again welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:57 am
by Norris_Boating
Welcome David, are you looking for new or used boat?
How are you planning on using the boat and where?

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 am
by Ytmsn
Welcome from Oklahoma and a close welcome to the Cobalt Club!
Those are three different boat styles, so it really all depends on what you plan on doing and how you boat. Personally I'm sure I would enjoy any of them.

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am
by Bambino68
Hi Everyone!

We will be using this boat in Holland Michigan on Lake Michigan. We are looking for something that we can go out into the lake and cruise up and down with the family. I have two younger children so they are not yet into the whole wakeboarding thing yet.

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm
by akorcovelos
For dedicated Lame Michigan boating get the 296 with twins.

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 am
by Motex2011
akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 pm For dedicated Lame Michigan boating get the 296 with twins.
Welcome from Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas. I have to agree. I have a 2014 R5 and we are on a lake in Texas where the wind can create 1 to 2 foot waves before the cruisers and other boats start chopping up the water and it is all but impossible to plane off and just cruise on a weekend without getting beat up pretty good and forget sitting in the front of the boat.

As for the size of the boat, it is advertised at 25.5 feet with the 2 foot swim platform or 23.5 feet of real boat. The weight is pretty significant at 4,880 dry and that easily gets up to close to 6,000 pounds when you add gas, gear, and people and the boat is built like a tank, but it still takes a beating unless you captain it like your life depends on it and try to soften the ride.

I've already started planning for my next boat because of this, but I'm not going to mess with 2 more feet. I'm going up to 30 feet or close to it unless I can find a smaller boat that can plane off and run in those conditions. Just my two cents.

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:20 am
by Bambino68
Good Morning
Looks like we’re going to settle on an R5. Used. Found a few 2020 models on Boat trader for 90K but they are out East. Anything in particular I should look for?
Thanks for the help & happy 4th!

Re: New Member looking for help..

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 am
by jhnmdahl
Bambino68 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:20 am Good Morning
Looks like we’re going to settle on an R5. Used. Found a few 2020 models on Boat trader for 90K but they are out East. Anything in particular I should look for?
Thanks for the help & happy 4th!
My best one nugget of advice is to focus on the things you can't change easily, like the engine and outdrive or the wakeboard tower/bimini, rather than things like the carpet or stereo that are relatively easy to change (and are likely to be swapped out at some point by many people anyway). The R5 is a great boat stock - it is really pretty well equipped stock other than maybe picking an arch or bimini depending on how you'll use it and a cover.

Most more recent boats come with Volvo by default, although there are some Mercuries out there. In the Volvo line, the V8-300 and V8-350 are the same block (5.3L) while the 380 and 430 are both the 6.2L, so the biggest difference in torque should be moving from the 350 to the 380. Any of the engines will move the boat just fine and I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a V8-300, although if I had my pick I'd probably like a 380 with a duo prop outdrive.