Hello,
I am looking for information on the best places to buy a few parts. I am also having some issues with a couple items, and I wanted to ask the group for help.
It's a 1995 Cobalt 253S, Its a cuddy cabin with a MerCruiser 454 and a bravo 3. I purchased it last year and we love the boat. I have added a large stereo and new interior. We get a ton of use out of it here in Arizona as our boating season never really ends.
We have developed a couple issues and I want to fix them.
First issue is the ignition switch broke. The momentary part of the ignition broke and know the key will spin all the way around. I'm looking for a new keyed ignition switch that I don't need to rewire the entire system. Where is the best place to find one? I looked at amazon and did some google searches. I cannot find anything.
Second issue is, when the power master is turned on the automatic bilge pump will just turn on. It's not all the time but even when there is no water in the bilge it will run. The light on the dash turns on as if there was water in it. Is it just the pump or is there another problem?
Third is the steering. It is very slow and at times clunky. The pump is full and other then that I have no idea what im looking for. I would assume it would work more freely.
Fourth is the headlights. Are there any upgrades. When I turn them on the electrical system dims, sometimes it kills the stereo that is hardwired to the battery. I think those old-style bulbs are a huge drain. I'd like to swap them out to LEDs or something that doesn't take as much juice. Anyone ever upgraded.
Lastly is the throttle control. Internally there must be some serious wire issues. At times the outboard elevation control with just start going up or down. I have also seen smoke and smelt electrical burning smell coming out of the mechanism.
1995 253SC Looking for help
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: 1995 253SC Looking for help
.
Hey Jeremy. So glad you found us!
Try Overtons or greatlakesskipper.Com for an ignition switch. Do you have a dealer close by? They can also help.
Your bilge float switch is probably stuck in the up position. See if it moves freely up and down.
Steering cables may need replaced or at a minimum greased.
Yes replace those can light bulbs with LED’s. They run cooler and draw less current.
Throttle can be taken apart and trim switch disassembled. Clean and check wiring. Also check wiring at the trim pump in the engine compartment. That’s a serious issue if you see or smell smoke.
Others will chime in shortly. Any pics?
And welcome aboard mate!
.
Hey Jeremy. So glad you found us!
Try Overtons or greatlakesskipper.Com for an ignition switch. Do you have a dealer close by? They can also help.
Your bilge float switch is probably stuck in the up position. See if it moves freely up and down.
Steering cables may need replaced or at a minimum greased.
Yes replace those can light bulbs with LED’s. They run cooler and draw less current.
Throttle can be taken apart and trim switch disassembled. Clean and check wiring. Also check wiring at the trim pump in the engine compartment. That’s a serious issue if you see or smell smoke.
Others will chime in shortly. Any pics?
And welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
Re: 1995 253SC Looking for help
The old-style bulbs are a drain, but not THAT huge... there's something else goingHammer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:46 am
Fourth is the headlights. Are there any upgrades. When I turn them on the electrical system dims, sometimes it kills the stereo that is hardwired to the battery. I think those old-style bulbs are a huge drain. I'd like to swap them out to LEDs or something that doesn't take as much juice. Anyone ever upgraded.
on if switching on 2 bulbs dims the whole system and kills the stereo. But LED bulbs
are a great upgrade, and will be cooler and easier on the battery.
2008 272 8.1L 375hp VP
Buncombe Creek, Lake Texoma
Buncombe Creek, Lake Texoma
- Krob1114
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1876
- Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 am
- Location: Greer’s Ferry Lake, AR
- Contact:
Re: 1995 253SC Looking for help
Agreed. I'm wondering if it's time to replace the battery.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Home in Hernando, MS
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: 1995 253SC Looking for help
Yes mine did the same. Do some searches in here. There are plenty of threads doing the conversion.okielaker wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:21 amThe old-style bulbs are a drain, but not THAT huge... there's something else goingHammer wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:46 am
Fourth is the headlights. Are there any upgrades. When I turn them on the electrical system dims, sometimes it kills the stereo that is hardwired to the battery. I think those old-style bulbs are a huge drain. I'd like to swap them out to LEDs or something that doesn't take as much juice. Anyone ever upgraded.
on if switching on 2 bulbs dims the whole system and kills the stereo. But LED bulbs
are a great upgrade, and will be cooler and easier on the battery.
Don't forget to get led stainless steel cup holders
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: 1995 253SC Looking for help
You do realize those are not headlights and docking lights? And should only be used for only docking.
If those light are drawing down the whole system either you have a dead short or a really bad connection feeding everything effected
If those light are drawing down the whole system either you have a dead short or a really bad connection feeding everything effected
CS23
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: 1995 253SC Looking for help
Na their headlights! What you talking aboutdustinm wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:20 am You do realize those are not headlights and docking lights? And should only be used for only docking.
If those light are drawing down the whole system either you have a dead short or a really bad connection feeding everything effected
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 34 guests

