‘88 21BR Dying as Drive is Lowered

(190 through 360)
Post Reply
nedlucas
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

‘88 21BR Dying as Drive is Lowered

Post by nedlucas »

Well, I installed the new control box and everything worked fine but apparently my muffs came loose while I was testing it. Guess what happens when your muffs come loose - you burn up your impeller. Of course I was in the middle of the lake when I found out. Well, the impeller has now been replaced and the problem now is when I lower the drive all the way down, the engine dies, like it has been electrically been turned off. If I raise the drive a little, the engine fires right back up. Unable to rev the engine while in gear because it runs rough. Prior to the engine overheating because of the blown impeller, it was running great. However, in neutral, it revs right up like normal. Any thoughts?
User avatar
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 am
Location: Greer’s Ferry Lake, AR
Contact:

Re: ‘88 21BR Dying as Drive is Lowered

Post by Krob1114 »

I'm wondering if pieces of the old impeller are still in system and causing problems.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
nedlucas
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: ‘88 21BR Dying as Drive is Lowered

Post by nedlucas »

I’m wonderthat as well but don’t understand how they would be affecting the running of the engine as the drive is lowered. Any pieces would be internal to the engine, the drive is external to the engine.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:23 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: ‘88 21BR Dying as Drive is Lowered

Post by dustinm »

Check the wires as it seems something is getting pinched as its lowered
CS23
nedlucas
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:02 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: ‘88 21BR Dying as Drive is Lowered

Post by nedlucas »

Went and fooled with it this morning. The incline gauge use to indicate the angle. Now it shows either all the way up or all the way down. Once it kicks over to all the way down, the engine dies. If I raise it just a hair, I can restart the engine and the cruise at whatever speed I want to. Is that here anyway to post a photo? I found a wire outboard, by the gimbal area that looks like it’s been cut.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests