Ignition key duplicate

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

Hi,

I'd like to duplicate the ignition key for our 2011 210 (for my Son). My dealer said there should be a number on the original key that can be used to order a duplicate/replacement, but I don't see one. Does anyone have some guidance on how to get a Cobalt key duplicated?

Thanks in advance,
G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Big Block Power »

It's a letter on the key.
Debbie hayes used to have some not sure if she sold out of them. I think it's in the cobalt parts thread. Or just call a dealer they will send you that key.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

Ah, there is a letter there! Thanks so much BBP!!
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Big Block Power »

Photo_G wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:17 am Ah, there is a letter there! Thanks so much BBP!!
Yep. I won't give it the secret. Just call the dealer or deb. I'll look for the thread.
Looks like she is out of keys. A8 tried.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

Thanks again BBP! I'll give him a call back.

Take care,
G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

Update: I ordered a pre-cut duplicate from lostakey.net ($9.99 + shipping). I'll post back after I have received and tested it.

Thanks again,
G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

Well, the first key didn't work. It went in, but wouldn't turn. The company immediately cut a replacement, so I'm hoping for better luck on the new one.

....stand by..

G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Big Block Power »

Photo send me a pm please. Thanks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by thunder550 »

I just took my key in to Ace Hardware and they cut a duplicate one on the spot for me. I think the blanks are pretty generic.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Driller »

I just took my existing key to my local Cobalt dealer. I handed him my key and $15. He handed me a duplicate. Worked like a charm. Cobalt premium as it has the fancy logo on the key.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by thunder550 »

Driller wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:49 pm Cobalt premium as it has the fancy logo on the key.
Now there's something you won't get at Ace! :lol:
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

The second key from LostaKey failed to turn the ignition too. Looks like I'm headed to Ace or my local dealer.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Take care,
G

Edit: It looks like my local dealer can get me the "pretty" key for $32. Not too bad, I guess.
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Big Block Power »

Photo_G wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 am The second key from LostaKey failed to turn the ignition too. Looks like I'm headed to Ace or my local dealer.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Take care,
G

Edit: It looks like my local dealer can get me the "pretty" key for $32. Not too bad, I guess.
Boy sounds like they are thinking it's gold.
You can call any dealer and they can ship it. Just curious if that's the actually the marked up price. I think I paid $15 from deb on here.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Photo_G
Commander
Commander
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by Photo_G »

Thanks BB, I'll have to shop around a bit.

G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Ignition key duplicate

Post by thunder550 »

I paid $7 at Ace. I think that was for a key and a keychain.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests