Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

(R3-R8, R30, R35)
Chrispval
Commander
Commander
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: Buffalo
Contact:

Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Chrispval »

Can i upgrade my manual arch to electric folding, without changing the whole arch?
Also how easy is it to add a motorbox actuator? Cobalt is prewired for it?
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Big Block Power »

Well no one on here has done it.
No time like the present. Let's get this thread going with pictures 😉😉
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by AsLan7 »

.
Agreed!

Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

I think both projects are doable. It would be a first for the site as bbp mentioned. Having things pre-wired is half the battle

Again welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by ajcampen »

Call Samson sport and ask. They made it
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Chrispval
Commander
Commander
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: Buffalo
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Chrispval »

Thanks for the encouragement. I pull her out of storage Friday and will post some eye candy. First project is adding tower speakers and a 2 channel JL amp. Next, is the arch. I spoke with Samson, and they confirmed its the same arch as electric. Now to try and get a dealer to order me the actuator for cost
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Big Block Power »

Can you get the actuator from Samson. that might be the cheaper and better way. Cobalt is the middle man so they mark it up and you dealer marks it up. Buy it factory direct.
Maybe buy it in bulk like 10 of them. You might be on to something here.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Chrispval
Commander
Commander
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: Buffalo
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Chrispval »

Samson rep at the 800 number was working from home, and factory closed. She was just on her rotational shift answering calls. She made it seem like the only direction would be to deal with the local cobalt dealer, not even the factory. From experience, trying to order parts for things like a trailer, these companies in their agreements with their partners (boat manufacturers), will not sell or distribute direct to consumers especially while they are still in active production runs for current models. If it was something that was discontinued, and Cobalt moved on to a new updated design, I could see them selling off extra inventory. Nonetheless, its worth a shot. I will see if I can convince them. My local dealer is very friendly, and he may even share engineering specs with me if he has access to them from cobalt.
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
Chrispval
Commander
Commander
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: Buffalo
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Chrispval »

I found this for a mastercraft. Seems pricey still, and retail. but if it looks like this for cobalt and a plug and play harness, this could be the easiest job yet
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/maste ... -inch-stbd
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Big Block Power »

Chrispval wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:50 pm Samson rep at the 800 number was working from home, and factory closed. She was just on her rotational shift answering calls. She made it seem like the only direction would be to deal with the local cobalt dealer, not even the factory. From experience, trying to order parts for things like a trailer, these companies in their agreements with their partners (boat manufacturers), will not sell or distribute direct to consumers especially while they are still in active production runs for current models. If it was something that was discontinued, and Cobalt moved on to a new updated design, I could see them selling off extra inventory. Nonetheless, its worth a shot. I will see if I can convince them. My local dealer is very friendly, and he may even share engineering specs with me if he has access to them from cobalt.
Maybe true. Rick and Derek are very helpful at Cobalt. They got Yt some good info when he needed it. When they open in August you could give them a call.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by ajcampen »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:28 pm
Chrispval wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:50 pm Samson rep at the 800 number was working from home, and factory closed. She was just on her rotational shift answering calls. She made it seem like the only direction would be to deal with the local cobalt dealer, not even the factory. From experience, trying to order parts for things like a trailer, these companies in their agreements with their partners (boat manufacturers), will not sell or distribute direct to consumers especially while they are still in active production runs for current models. If it was something that was discontinued, and Cobalt moved on to a new updated design, I could see them selling off extra inventory. Nonetheless, its worth a shot. I will see if I can convince them. My local dealer is very friendly, and he may even share engineering specs with me if he has access to them from cobalt.
Maybe true. Rick and Derek are very helpful at Cobalt. They got Yt some good info when he needed it. When they open in August you could give them a call.
August....f* :(
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by ajcampen »

I’m not sure Samson makes a electric folding arch. It must be more cobalt specific. Looked for one on their site and I saw nothing
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Big Block Power »

ajcampen wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:24 am I’m not sure Samson makes a electric folding arch. It must be more cobalt specific. Looked for one on their site and I saw nothing
I searched all over and nothing. I'm trying to just find the actuator. I'm sure I could find one but the issue is it the right one. Is it worth 500 bucks. To me heck yes. I hate lifting my stainless tower. If I could convert mine I would in a heart beat. I don't have a flat surface to mount it to. The other issue I've had with my dealers is if my hin number did not include that option they wouldn't sell it to me. I tried to upgrade to the new swim platform and they wouldn't sell one to me.

So quick search for me this.
I think it could be done. Maybe if some of the guys with a power tower Could pay a picture or any numbers on their actuators we could mage this happen brute August.

https://progressiveactuators.com/produc ... AxEALw_wcB
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Chrispval
Commander
Commander
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: Buffalo
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Chrispval »

C507AE0F-44EC-491F-9F52-A1C444743788.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by Big Block Power »

Chrispval wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:36 pm C507AE0F-44EC-491F-9F52-A1C444743788.jpeg
That's one of my fav combos. Nice boat!!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 pm
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Electric folding arch R3

Post by gdane »

Chris, Answered your question in the PM. Sorry for the late reply!
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests